Vehicles

Hello Gang ~

Yeah .... I am coming to visit Vietnam , and checking it out for retirement , and starting NEW life .  Yes .

I have always loved the Orient , and Vietnam has been a presence long in my mind , only Japan could be considered as close to my heart .
So I look to learn . I must . What type of vehicles are available in Vietnam ? , can you buy a New motorbike there ?
I know there is a new APAC agreement and this affects tariffs on imported vehicles . My goal is a large displacement Scooter , Bike , or Utility vehicle .  Buying used is okay if I can verify the condition .

Yes ,  I DO rebuild and repair my own Iron too .  Okay folks ... Hello and thanks for reading my letter .

Any advice is appreciated .  Thanks !  :)

Vietnam Venice .

Plenty of used motorbikes for sale for cheap (by US standards).  I'm not sure what your definition of "large displacement" is but essentially:  Greater than 175cc requires you to jump through several hoops to get a license, while 50cc or less requires no license.  In between, you'll need a regular license, or be ready to bribe your way out of any sticky situations you get yourself into with the cops.

Whether you can buy new, as a foreigner, is something I'll let others chime in on.  All I know is technically it's not allowed, but as with many things in Vietnam, money talks.

You can buy new, but the process of putting a new auto in your name will take an extra week or 2 to process, thus you buy a new vehicle and you cant drive it for 3 weeks while the plates are being processed.

To look for used cars google search the term "xe ban oto" and you will find plenty of used cars in Vn, eliminating the waiting period of not driving for paperwork transfer, as they will already have plates. (but paperwork still needs to be done)

As far as retiring here: There is no retirement visa and the only way to stay long term is by job or marriage. If you are looking for easy way to retire in Asia, look into Thailand as Ive heard that they have on over 50 retirement visa that is processed yearly...Only option I know of for staying in Vn for you would be 3mo tourist visas...a big pain in the arse.

In addition to Thailand, The Philippines and Malaysia have retirement stay options:

http://www.pra.gov.ph/main/srrv_program?page=1http://www.mm2h.gov.my/index.php/en/

But none of these places compares to Vietnam, in my opinion.

HI..
it is easy to buy vehicles in Vietnam both used and new .. cars and SUV's are available but prices are almost double. carry a driving licence from home country and change here in Vietnamese DL ...

GOod day ..

Totally agree with Dan and Big-Tex.
As a foreigner you can buy vehicles if you meet their requirements.
Most of the expats here bought vehicles under locals' name because of 'red tape'.
It's all depend on your type of Visa / TRC / Driver's License!
Alteration of vehicles has limit in Vietnam, like any other country.
If CSGT salute you, remember, you are in trouble  :)

Hi,

I think people just told you necessary things, pls check this link:

http://www.chotot.vn/tp_ho_chi_minh/xe_may#

Regards

No dear, he need bigger than Honda PCX . Am I correct VV3260?  :)
Or Honda SHi may be better.

charmavietnam wrote:

Totally agree with Dan and Big-Tex.
As a foreigner you can buy vehicles if you meet their requirements.
Most of the expats here bought vehicles under locals' name because of 'red tape'.
It's all depend on your type of Visa / TRC / Driver's License!

When I was in a Vespa dealership a few months ago, the sales girl told me flat-out she could not sell to me.  She didn't even ask what type of visa I had.  I realize I could put the bike in a local's name, but I'm not sure I want to spend 90.000.000 VND on something that I don't own.

Luckily there are plenty of used Vespas for sale, for quite a bit less, from shops that are more than willing to sell to a foreigner.

What's red tape?

If you are a foreigner, you will have a special motorbike number: NN but you will have to register at the province/city you make your TRc. For example, your TRc was made in Ha Noi but you live in hcm, you will have to fly to Ha noi to make motorbike plate numbers.

About buying a new scooter, it isn't necessary cos the price will decrease over 40% when ODO is over 5000kms.

Dejavu.dot wrote:

What's red tape?

More than you ever wanted to know:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_tape;)

DanFromSF wrote:

When I was in a Vespa dealership a few months ago, the sales girl told me flat-out she could not sell to me.  She didn't even ask what type of visa I had.  I realize I could put the bike in a local's name, but I'm not sure I want to spend 90.000.000 VND on something that I don't own.
Yeah, I faced the same in some of An Duong Vuong shops. After that just bought one not too old Shark  :)

Luckily there are plenty of used Vespas for sale, for quite a bit less, from shops that are more than willing to sell to a foreigner.
Many foreigners ask for new before they land  :)  Because they are unaware of hassles here.

thanks Dan!

I prefer airblade bike cos it is FI and good. especially Thai Airblade.

Dan ,

Thanks .  I would like  to live in Vietnam long term , and yes marry .  Okay I may be delusional but this is my plan until I come and see the country .
Vietnam is a beautiful place , and yes not perfect I know , but the USA is hardly perfect either .  I wanted my Wife and I to have homes in both countries , but if it looks good ... I will choose Asia , Vietnam . I really want a beautiful child . .

Walking to the market instead of a freeway drive of an hour is more my style . Fresh food is my style , less television is my style . I am a simple guy .

I thank all of you for your help . Yes .   V V ....

Wow.  It seems that you're shopping for much more than transportation.

My advice is to proceed with caution with Vietnamese women.  It's easy to get involved with one;  it's less easy to get un-involved.  Therefore, choose wisely.  If I were you, I wouldn't settle down for at least a year.   It will take you that long, at least, to figure things out.  Take baby steps, observe and learn, and never EVER tell anybody how much you have in your bank account.

Good advice, Dan.

If you plan to settle/retire here, marriage will be easier in some ways. The main opposition come from relatives in the form of "If you marry that Bluebeard character, you are lucky if he just abandon  you and move back to his country." Around here, girl over 30 feel like they are shelved goods so they are not too picky. Remember, I have a childhood friend marry a Kenyan guy 15+ year older than her. They have one kid already.

A permanent home should be in either HCMC or Hanoi. It will be easier to get access to good quality healthcare and various services. And this time, the real estate market is in a deflating state so you might get better deals for a long time rental.

mukii wrote:

HI..
it is easy to buy vehicles in Vietnam both used and new .. cars and SUV's are available but prices are almost double.

Because of the new road tax proposals, many car owners sold their vehicles to dealers. One used car dealer can't accept any more cars, but he does act as a broker - listing vehicles held by owners. (Road Tax proposals only apply to cars in major cities)

It's a buyers market.

You might not believe it but a 'good month' for many new car dealers is when the sell ONE vehicle!

VNese tend to 'nurse' their cars, giving them especial care, as it is a major expense often exceeding the cost of a house. VN duty is 100% - a Toyota Landcruiser tips the scales at around $100,000.

Buy second hand vehicle, providing there are authorised dealers/service centres in the country, is a great way to save money.

The second requirement is to hire a 'jail-bait' driver, he is the guy who goes to jail in the case of an accident. I drive a 4-wheel drive 'truck' (for tax purposes)(I removed the required seats after purchase) which is easy outside Ha Noi or TP HCM.

Ha Noi or TP HCM are different, as is the driving style - slower and less aggressive.

charmavietnam wrote:

As a foreigner you can buy vehicles if you meet their requirements. Most of the expats here bought vehicles under locals' name because of 'red tape'.

There is no need to buy through a Third Party IF you have a Residence/Work Permit with over ONE YEAR remaining validity (old rules - who knows, the rules change monthly, it seems).

Dejavu.dot wrote:

If you are a foreigner, you will have a special motorbike number: NN but you will have to register at the province/city you make your TRc.

Funny, I have six motorcycles registered in my name as well as a 'truck' and none have NN numbers. NN numbers depend on whose is registering the vehicles. Other letters (NN after provincial codes means ownership by foreign interests; NG after provincial code in RED means diplomatic/NGO plate; LD after province codes means companies with 100% foreign investment, etc) indicate tax status of the vehicle in the country - important to know when you buy a used vehicle.

For example, your TRc was made in Ha Noi but you live in hcm, you will have to fly to Ha noi to make motorbike plate numbers.

Mmmm, not my experience - I live in Buon Ma Thuot and all the vehicles have city of purchase (HCM) numbers. Besides, why fly, use an agent? You can also register Ha Noi as a 'house move', and get Ha Noi plates.