New Home - hoping to get retirement visa

Moving to Chiang Mai from Australia in October 2014, hoping to get retirement visa.

No need to "hope" you can get a retirement visa  !!!!

NoN O on the ground of retirement, or Extension on the grounds of retirement.
But i do know many people call it for retirement visa !!

If you can meet the requirement for it, you can get it, if you can´t meet the requirement then you don´t get it.
It is simple like this, No need to hope or anything else.

Do know the Requirement for it if you apply in Australia for a 1 year at a Embassy / Consulate in Australia.
But "normal" it is easy to do when in Thailand.

Requirement for 1 year Extension for retirement, at a Immigration office Inside Thailand is:

65.000 baht income pr month.

Or

800.000 baht in a Thai bank account for 2 month first time before applying, and 3 month after that (i think it is)

Or

You can use a combine of the 2 things. Like 500.000 baht in the bank account, then you need 300.000 baht income pr year =  25.000 baht income pr month.

Thank you for your reply, 72 years young, applying for 90 day visa at Brisbane Consulate, open account with Bangkok bank,Deposit security funds plus proof of Australian Pension.

You definitely shouldn't have any problems with the visa as the previous poster said. 800,000baht in a Thai bank works out to roughly $25,000 USD.

Adding on to what you are asking about purchasing homes, are you trying to save yourself some hassle from putting in a Thai's name (have seen incidents of people getting kicked out of their own homes by Thai wives/gf's.)

I'm a bit aways from my retirement visa, but am looking at setting up a Thai Limited Partnership, so I can rent out a few properties and of course have my own for personal use. I'm assuming that putting the properties in my company name will alleviate the chance of any of those issues arising. Not sure if I can carry a 30yr. lease on the property through a company, then have a quitclaim deed setup in the paperwork to transfer when I've found a partner there I can trust.

One thing, If / when use the 800k baht in the bank, have a few more baht then that, Immigration KNOW people can "buy" Bank account book that have 800k baht in them. So some times they test if it is yours, ask you to go put 100 baht in your account, take them out again, and show the new ATM Slip.
I all ways tell the people i help getting Retirement-Extension if using the money in the bank, To have like 809.000 baht, 813.000 baht or some other numbers then 800.000 baht.
And i/we never be ask anything about it, Only a tip, as i know many use 800k with no problem.

All so remember the account have to be in your name only, if joint account with GF/wife you need 1.600.000 baht on it, And the account NEED to be so you can put money in/out, and not a fix saving account that "locked" the account for XX month for better bank interest.

Other then that, i hope you super good time here, and enjoy you life here, Thailand is super nice country i think.

Kindly.

Hi astroid60,

Please tell us what you need to know so others can help you.

Rgds Rusty

Police report & medical report are they done in Australia or Thailand?
Anybody had experience {good or Bad} with Assist Thai Visa Services?

astroid60 wrote:

Police report & medical report are they done in Australia or Thailand?
Anybody had experience {good or Bad} with Assist Thai Visa Services?

If they are for an O-A visa which I suspect they are they are done in your own country as part of the visa process.

If you don't mind me asking why not do the visa yourself? AGENTS cost money and don't do much for it. The process is easy and if you get stuck there are plenty of folk here who can explain the process.

Most of us would not dream of wasting our hard earned cash on an agent ;-)

There is no requirement for a police OR medical report.

3 rules for a Retirement Visa:

1.) Over 50 - show your passport.
2.) Renting annually (you can buy after you get your visa) - show your lease agreement.
3.) Money. 800,000+ in a Thai bank account for the last 3 months - show a recent letter from your bank (they'll charge you 500 baht) or proof of income > 65,000 baht per month (I'm not sure of the rules on how to prove this but, if you have it, it is much, much easier to do the 800,000).

FYI: I had an experience with the company you mention. Thai laws on Defamation are unbelievable so I cannot speak about it - nor will anyone else who knows the law here. A good tip: Don't ask about those kind of things in writing and don't ask about the military coup or royalty!

Regardless it is far better to do it yourself. I got my retirement visa in May and have done my first 90 day report both without any assistance. It is much easier than you might think - only problem is you must be prepared to wait 4-8 hours at immigration once a year (retirement visa) and 2 hours or so 3 times (each 90 day report).

recklessron wrote:

There is no requirement for a police OR medical report.

3 rules:

1.) Over 50 - show your passport.
2.) Renting annually (you can buy after you get your visa) - show your lease agreement.
3.) Money. 800,000+ in a Thai bank account for the last 3 months - show a recent letter from your bank (they'll charge you 500 baht) or proof of income > 65,000 baht per month (I'm not sure of the rules on how to prove this but, if you have it, it is much, much easier to do the 800,000).

There is for a O-A Non Immigrant visa, which I think is what the OP was asking about.

Please check my edited post!

I just got my Retirement Visa in May (it is stamped RETIREMENT) and just did my first 90 day report.

There are NO medical or police requirements.

Make sure you have the age pension sorted out before you leave...I left Oz at age 59 and cannot get the pension as I am classified as a Thai resident now and would have to return to Oz to serve a qualifying period then must stay an additional 2 years or have it discontinued...I cant tell you what I told them to do after 43 years working in Australia..

Col

@recklessron

If you have to do 90 days addressee report, look in your passport again, i think it say:
Extension to stay for the reason of Retirement ??
Or something like that.

This is NOT a Visa, but a Extension. and for Visa and Extension the Requirement are NOT the same.

Many people "normal" get a NoN O 90 days Single entry Visa, when come to Thailand for Retirement as in many country that "Easy" to get, if one meet the basic requirement that the Embassy / Consulate in that country want.

Then inside the last 30 days (some Immigration 45 day) change that to 1 year Extension - Retirement.

I got the VISA then I got the EXTENSION.

You are talking semantics. The point is there is NO medical or police background check requirements!

BTW: You can use any bank account, including 'locked-in' term deposits. I did with no problem!

@recklessron

You had a Visa now you have a Extension.
Thanks for let us know..

As you have give us the proof your self, you talking about Extension and not Visa, there is no point to keep type here.
As the requirement for the 2 things are not the same.

Or i forgot it, to use money in the bank the first year only, money only need to be in bank for 60 days and not 3 month as you type. Have be like that for long time.

Search this on google and read you self.

"Thai Immigration issues new police order 327/2557 effective August 29, 2014"

Money income letter, one need letter from once Embassy, and again, Different country Embassy have different requirement to provide that, for Danish people it is our monthly income letter, or our yearly tax paper.
Danish Embassy take 1.000 baht to do it, and 40 baht to send it to our address using EMS. We don´t even have to go to our Embassy for it, we can E-mail or send a letter with the paper to our Embassy.
And wait for it to come back to our address.

I know other Embassy charge a lot more for it.

Bank letter cost 200-300 baht.

Okay so OP please don't listen to the other poster. I JUST did this.

You do need to apply for the Non-Immigrant O Visa and then convert it to a Retirement Visa and then do 90 day reporting. There are NO requirements for medical or a police background check for any of it and it is 3 months, not 60 days, that the funds need to be in a Thai bank (I know this as I tried to apply a week early to avoid the need for my 3rd visa run to Mae Sai). Also, you can take all the money out as soon as you have your visa but it does need to be aged 3 months before you apply for your annual renewal.

Re lease  Does it have to be a 12 month lease agreement? was going to initially lease for 6 months while I looked around.

astroid60 wrote:

Re lease  Does it have to be a 12 month lease agreement? was going to initially lease for 6 months while I looked around.

It does have to be an annual lease. That is a requirement. I don't know, but I assume, owning housing will do if you can produce all the documents and the house book.

FYI: I rented an apt in the Chiangmai Riverside Condo as it is a prestigious building. Everyone at immigration knows it. I did that on purpose as it made my application very easy. Now I'm waiting out my lease as I don't want to forfeit my 2 months deposit. In Nov I'll be moving to a house somewhere which will require my reporting a change of address. Before next May, when my retirement visa needs to be renewed, I'll need to have another annual lease somewhere...

Again you talking about Extension and not for the Visa outside Thailand, get that in you head please. as it is not the same.

I know for 100% the money in the bank is 60 days first time apply for a yearly Extension, as i help many this way.
They come on a 90 days NoN O Single.
Put the money in the bank or transfer it here.
After money in the Bank for 60 days we go and get them the 1 year Extension for retirement.
And that is the law, look it up it is in Thai and English, and that the LAW i give you a link to all ready.

As you keep saying it is the same, look here please:

This is from Hull for applying for a "Retirement" Visa. (I write Retirement Visa as many call it)

4) Visiting Thailand as Pensioner aged 65 and over.
Evidence required:
a) Current DWP Pension Statement showing receipt of UK State Pension (no minimum
necessary).

As you can see, in Hull you have to be 65 years and NOT 50 years.
No 65.000 baht income pr month, but the income have to be a State Pension.

Even at Hull it is other requirement for "Married" Visa
Here you see 65.000 baht income and not the 40.000 baht income as it in inside Thailand.

1) Married to a Thai national.
Evidence required:
a) Copy of Original Thai Marriage Certificate (front and back).
b) Copy of spouses Thai ID Card or Thai Passport showing married name.
c) Copy of latest 3 months Bank Statements (Thai or UK bank) showing regular income of
minimum 65,000 baht (or equivalent in another currency) per month. Bank Statements must
include name and address of visa applicant and address on Bank Statements must be same
as on Visa Application Form. Please bear in mind that it may be necessary to check this
information with the employer.
Either a single or multiple entry visa

At London:

It look like 50 years and 65.000 baht income for the "retirement" Visa
But here you need what you keep saying is not need. Look !!!

06: Criminal Record from own country and country of permanent residence with validity of at least 3  months.
07: Medical Record proving applicant has never been infected with contagious disease with validity at least 3 months (in accordance with Immigration Act B.E.2522)

Note:  Documents as stated in 4 - 8 must be certified by Notary Public or from the competent authority concerned of the country of application.

But sure, you done it inside Thailand and therefor that must be the way around the world. Wake up please !!!!

I give up, people can read everywhere what it is correct, and all ways people are best to contact the Embassy / Consulate in the country for applying, Please understand, this is for the Visa part.

Inside the law are the same, but us living here some years, know then even so it is same inside, Immigration might ask for other things, ask for more proof, get people to translate income paper use by our Embassy into Thai, have to do this for a friend of mine, good we apply around 30 days before, so we have time for this inside the time period.

About the lease, you giving wrong information again, one don´t NEED 1 year lease, period.
It might be that you Immigration ask for it as more proof from you, but again i know people can get it for rent hotel room and get the hotel to sign paper that you are living there for the time.
And nothing in the police order (The Immigration law) about it.

Here is the law about Retirement Extension if it is for people don´t want to use my link.

The alien:

(1)Must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).
(2)Must be 50 years of age or over.
(3)Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month:
or
(4)On the filing date, the applicant must have funds deposited in a bank in Thailand of no less than Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to the filing date:
or
(5)Must have an annual earning and fluids deposited with a bank totaling no less than Baht800,0000 as of the filing date.
(6)An alien who entered the Kingdom before October 21, 1998 and has been consecutively permitted to stay in the Kingdom for retirement shall be subject to the following criteria:
(a)Must be 60 years of age or over and have an annual fixed income with fluids maintained in a bank accountfor the past three months of no less than Baht 200,000 or have a monthly income of no less than Baht 20,000
(b)If less than 60 years of age but not less than 55 years of age,must have an annual fixed income with funds maintained in a bank accountfor the past three months of no less than Baht500,000or have a monthly income of no less than Baht 50,000

Edit in number 6 as i forgot then one.

This is from the Immigration law, learn to live with it.

Well last post in this from me, as i know what is correct or what is not. I know there is different between applying for a Visa in other country, And applying for a Extension Inside Thailand.

Kindly.

You are just plain wrong. It is 90 days and a 1 year lease. I am done discussing this with you.

OP: Believe whatever you want. I did not do a medical or have a police background check. I arrived in Thailand with no visa, just a British Passport, I now have my Retirement VISA (not extension) and I have done my first 90 day report with no problems!

Here's a copy of my Retirement VISA and the 90 day reporting stamp!
https://www.sendspace.com/file/lkq1sk

recklessron wrote:

You are just plain wrong. It is 90 days and a 1 year lease. I am done discussing this with you.

OP: Believe whatever you want. I did not do a medical or have a police background check. I arrived in Thailand with no visa, just a British Passport, I now have my Retirement VISA (not extension) and I have done my first 90 day report with no problems!

Here's a copy of my Retirement VISA and the 90 day reporting stamp!
https://www.sendspace.com/file/lkq1sk

Just had a look at the image.

So you arrived on 30 day visa exempt entry which you converted to a NON O entry stamp(in Thailand) which then gave you 90 days in the country which you subsequently extended(retirement extension).

So unless you are outside Thailand now you are here on an extension of stay (NOT A VISA) which expires in 2015 when you can apply to renew it.

You no longer have a visa since the NON O stamp immigration gave you expired/was cancelled when you got your extension of stay.

BTW I certainly did not say you had a medical or a police check however IF you had applied for an O-A visa back home it would have been required.

The whole business about medical/police check arose because of what the OP(original poster) said.

SO just to summarise you do not have a visa you have a retirement extension. Take a look in your passport again, look at the botton stamp(the large one) and notice it refers to section 2.22 of the relevant Police Order. That section deals with extensions of stay for retirement purposes.

Here's a link so you can read the full details of Police Order 777/2551. this order ha just been superceded(29/8/14) but the conditions relating to retirement EXTENSION OF STAY remains the same.

On this forum we try to help people. Not everyone speaks ENGLISH as a first language. You might like to bear that in mind.

Just to divert a bit and on the issue of renting and leases....My associates have found places that they are sure they would like to settle and make a home ... And they have made arrangements with the owner to take out a 30 year lease ...all rental monies paid upfront....taken to the land office with their solicitor and the Thai owner and their name registered on the back of the 'chanote' (title). They are in possession of a 30 lease on a house. The lease is in Thai and a certified English copy...

Oh and....I'm in Australia at the moment. I just received a non immigrant 0 visa from the consulate here.....90 days....no medical or police check required...just passport and proof of money .... Bank statements...etc....that's all...plus of course over a certain age....