Cost of Living in Brazil

I have been offered a job in Sao Paulo paid 19,000 $R per month and I would like to have your views on whether this is a good salary to live in Sao Paulo. I will be travelling with my family (husband and 2 children) and I would like to live in a safe and nice area of Sao Paulo but I am not really sure about prices. I would also like to have an idea of costs of private schools to buy a car and to live a day to day life. Can you help? Thanks, Renata Ramalhosa

Hello Ramalhosa,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I suggest you to have a look at this thread as you may find some useful information : https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=137716

Thank you

Priscilla

R$19.000 per month is a very good salary and you should do just fine on that. You'll be able to rent a very nice apartment in an upscale part of the City of São Paulo without any problem. Private schools are quite expensive, but you should have no problems on the budget you have.

For Cost of Living in São Paulo check www.numbeo.com and just type São Paulo Brazil into the search fields.

Thank you so much for your post. Do you know good private schools in São Paulo that I can begin looking? Also my husband is na architect/ urban planner - do you know whether he is able to practise in Brazil? I read one of your blogs and you suggest people not to buy a car.. but if you have a family of 4 would this advise still apply? Any suggestions on where I should look for the criteria to get a working Visa? If I get a Visa would it be easier for my family to get Visas as well? Many thanks for all your help. Best wishes, Renata

Thank you, Priscilla! Any blogs on Visas to work in Brazil?  Renata

There are so many good private schools in São Paulo they'll be too numerous to list. You're best off just doing a Google search of Escolas particulares em São Paulo and pick something fairly close to where you'll be living.

With 30 000 per month NET , you will feel better . How much you make now and where do you live now ?

GOOD SCHOOL = MINIMUM 4 X 1.000 R$ = 4.000 R$ / MONTH  + BOOKS + TRANSPORT + ECT...
TO RENT  APARTMENT 3 ROOMS, GOOD LOCALISATION   = MINIMUM 6.000 R$ / MONTH + CHARGES
INSURANCES, FOR 6 = MINIMUM 1.500 R$ / MONTH   
SUPERMARKET FOR 6 = MINIMUM 3.000 / MONTH
TOTAL = 14.500 R$ (WITHOUT SURPRISE)