Living in Chiang Mai - looking to hear your life experience there

David I am Gary age 66 retired addiction counselor. I been looking at living in foreign country. First started with Costa Rica. Now am looking at Chiang Mai Thailand. I would live to read ur experience living in thailand.
[email protected]

Gary

Thinking about moving to Thailand? Things are changing there day to day.I live in costa rica and will move back to Thailand when things calm down with red & yellow shirts and the government all going in different directions.Kinda reminds me of what the USA is going threw except the violence and marshal law. I have many friends in different parts there and they are concerned with they way the country is going.It still is safe in many aspects for expats but things could change.Banking,home ownership, investments there all could be in jeopardy.I personaly lived in Pucket.Its out away from the turmoil and Laguna for me was great.Costa Rica on the other hand is a different animal.Lots of scam artistes .Even the gringos are not to be trusted.I keep a small circle of friends wherever I live.Safer that way.I recommend you have an escape plan  when the Sh__t hits the fan.other than that,Like I wrote do your home work 1st and don't buy until you rent for at least 6 months to a year. good luck.David

David thanks fir yur experience and assessment. I plan on northern thailand-chiang mai. I won't buy house. Won't need job as I retired-SS and small pension. My plan-go to local AA meetings, go to gym every other day, ride bike and expand life with local culture visiting-Buddhist temples, go to Vietnam where I was during war.
So living in foreign land feeds one old goal and feed 2nd goal-find younger woman companion-not married or kids. A gal interested in older man. I got feedback from men-southern thailand is where most drug and sex trade is heaviest.
U have any experience with younger women in thailand?
[email protected]

Gary

Younger woman every where for you.they all want American man because you have money.No love to be gotten but a good time as long as your paying for it.Been there done that.Im sure there are some that sincere but where to find them.hotels,doctors office or at the hospitals. I found a great gal at the Burmengrad hospital in Bangcock but she wanted to marry and I didn't .so off she went.Still had my fun and went on to the next.You will have no problem believe me.Have fun and if you do go to the clubs try and find a buddie to go with till you learn the ropes and there are many ropes to learn.protect your wallet,cash,credit cards at all times.David

Hello Gary

To increase visibility on your post, please note that a new thread has been created from the latter on the Chiang Mai Forum.

Best Regards
Kenjee

Hey again mate.

No need to worried, even when the protest was at it highest it was safe in Thailand, Stay away from where the protest is, and you don´t need to fear anything.
If one want to live in Thailand, one NEED to understand Thailand and Thai.
Yellow fight Red, Red fight Yellow, and when it get to much, the military take control, That pretty "normal" for Thailand.
Try read about it is history and you find out, it happened a lot, and i am 100% sure, it is going to happened again.

The military is trying to clean up a lot, and i do hope they succeeds . But only time can tell
I don´t have to high hopes, Thai people don´t change the way they look at things over month / years.

As i see it, no need to buy if we talking about condo / house.
If things change, or you want to change city, Then move right away, it cost nearly zero money to move here in Thailand.

I do think when you come and live here, things be good for you, i know it can be hard to sit back and wait for time to move, time can go very slow when waiting for something new to happened..

All ways keep a eye out for the requirement for the Visa / Extension for long stay in Thailand.
And be sure you can fulfill the requirement.

All so remember if you never buy land, condo, house, if you need or want to leave the country in 1-2-3.
You can do it, no need to wait for sell this, sell that.
Take with you want you can, and start over, leave the rest for your Thai friends or landlord.

And learn this "quick", don´t worried so much. I be told that a lot in the start from Thai people.

I hope soon things are clear back home for you, so you can move here mate.

Kindly.