Infrastructure jobs in Bali

Hi all,

We're looking at moving our family to Bali for a lifestyle change.
My husband has been in construction for around 20 years now and we're hoping we can find something in this area for him. I've been searching for a recruitment company or something similar as I've heard of other people gaining jobs that way. Although I'm not sure if it was around Bali.

Can anyone point us in the right direction? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

EJG wrote:

Hi all,

We're looking at moving our family to Bali for a lifestyle change.
My husband has been in construction for around 20 years now and we're hoping we can find something in this area for him. I've been searching for a recruitment company or something similar as I've heard of other people gaining jobs that way. Although I'm not sure if it was around Bali.

Can anyone point us in the right direction? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

There are a few headhunter in Indonesia you may can contact.

Don't know about job possibilities in construction in Bali but a general rule is that your husband would need a work permit sponsored by a company in order to work legally.

To obtain a work permit one must have special skills what locals don't have.

The rule is simple.
If he can do a job that locals can't do, he'll be able to get a legal work permit, assuming a company hires him.
If there are qualified Indonesians available - forget it.

Thank you for your help gentlemen.
Are there specific companies that you may be able to tell us about?
Thanks again.

EJG wrote:

Thanks again.

You mean specific companies who just hiring foreigners and providing a work permit??

There are no such companies, you will have to find first a local company which has the possibility to employ a foreigner and can proof to the Manpower Department that the position can not be fulfilled with a local worker.

"We're looking at moving our family to Bali for a lifestyle change."

Wouldn't it be nice if it were just that simple...a move to Bali for "a lifestyle change."

Do a quick search on this forum for the topic heading, "so, you want to move to Bali."   

Construction jobs for foreigners on Bali are impossible.  The Balinese and workers from other islands of Indonesia have that all well taken care of.

happyhour wrote:
EJG wrote:

Thanks again.

You mean specific companies who just hiring foreigners and providing a work permit??

There are no such companies, you will have to find first a local company which has the possibility to employ a foreigner and can proof to the Manpower Department that the position can not be fulfilled with a local worker.

That's harsh, but true.
Time for a google.

"That's harsh, but true."

Personally, I like Tom's approach.   :top:

Actually I was referring to happyhours reference of a few head hunters we may be able to contact.
We spoke to numerous locals over there regarding the new infrastructure, bridges/roads etc, who told us Australia and Bali worked closely to get the project finished. This is the sort of thing my husband would like to be involved in.

And yes, I have already read the thread, so you want to move to Bali. It seems to me alot of it is to discourage people from moving there. I'm sure this blog is here to provide information and help others but a lot of the comments achieve the opposite. And yes, we have been googling.

EJG wrote:

Actually I was referring to happyhours reference of a few head hunters we may be able to contact.
We spoke to numerous locals over there regarding the new infrastructure, bridges/roads etc, who told us Australia and Bali worked closely to get the project finished. This is the sort of thing my husband would like to be involved in.

And yes, I have already read the thread, so you want to move to Bali. It seems to me alot of it is to discourage people from moving there. I'm sure this blog is here to provide information and help others but a lot of the comments achieve the opposite. And yes, we have been googling.

Unfortunately it is the fact that it is getting more and more difficult for foreigners finding a job in Indonesia due to the tight regulations. The Government is protecting their own people aiming that all open positions will be occupied by locals.

You may will hear from other expatriates that they found a job, earning some money in Bali or elsewhere in Indonesia just on one of the available visa, but mind you that this is illegal and one can face up to 5 years prison and penalty of up to 500.000.000 Rp if get caught.

I believe Roy and Mas Fred will confirm the same to you.

If you google head hunter Indonesia you will find various companies you can start talking to. Perhaps they have some open positions in the construction field for foreign experts. And if so just make sure from the beginning that the company in question do have a RPTKA (Foreign Placement Plan) which is needed to apply the work permit at the Manpower Department.

I have been here for 7 years and in my opinion there is shift to accepting people to work here from the government. The rules are slowly being enforced and things have slowed down. So that means many people who have been here for years are now struggling to remain.
Unless you come here with a job offer or placement then getting work just by being here which is supported by the correct legal documentation is getting harder or nor near impossible. However tough or negative that appears to be its the truth because I may have to face the same issue of visa renewal through the government in a while which I am not looking forward to.
But don't give up come to Bali and take a look and see what you can do.

Thank you. That information is much more helpful to us. We will certainly keep looking and hope that something may come up for us. I know there are other countries we may have more luck with but we are most familiar and the happiest in Bali.
Thanks happyhour and lukereg.

EJG wrote:

Thank you. That information is much more helpful to us. We will certainly keep looking and hope that something may come up for us. I know there are other countries we may have more luck with but we are most familiar and the happiest in Bali.
Thanks happyhour and lukereg.

You are welcome.

Just try and see about possibilities as long you keep in mind that you will need proper documents if you intend to work in here.

Yes we most definitely will. We have children to think about so would only follow all the correct procedures.

You could try the big mining companies like Thiess. But they work elsewhere not in Bali. McRoran in Freeport.

stumpy wrote:

You could try the big mining companies like Thiess. But they work elsewhere not in Bali. McRoran in Freeport.

Stumpy,
Not really sure about the mining but oil and gas industry do have very strict new regulations implemented since beginning of this year.

However Bali would not be an option anyway....

Mining has to follow the same regulations. I have worked in Indonesia before but because I am over 60 years of age I cannot be employed but can only work as a consultant, which is is impossible for me to do.

stumpy wrote:

Mining has to follow the same regulations. I have worked in Indonesia before but because I am over 60 years of age I cannot be employed but can only work as a consultant, which is is impossible for me to do.

Correct, the min age is 30 and max 55 years and I believe other Industries will follow the same soon.

In fact I just spoke to a guy last week who told me that he only get KITAS/IMTA for 6 months then need to EPO and apply all new again. He is 56 living and working here many years already but not in the oil, gas or mining.