Private insurance to cover in absences through illness after 6 weeks

My company has told me that I am required to subscribe to a private health insurance scheme that will cover me in my absences through illness exceeding six weeks when I move to munich in Oct.

Could you please advise me with the approximate cost of this insurance

Hi manish_ba,

Maybe you should get in touch with our partner here: https://www.expat.com/en/insurance/euro … ny/munich/

Regards
Armand
Expat.com Team

It's a bit of a long shot, but I had to provide my own insurance for the first year and a half I worked in Germany because of some loophole in the law (I wasn't an official employee, I was a "visiting scholar"). Anyway, I bought travelers insurance from the USA (where I'm originally from) and they and the visa office accepted this. The insurance is more for emergencies like if you get hit by a bus while traveling rather than routine (things like dental checkups) or preexisting conditions that you need meds for regularly. Travel insurence was far, far cheaper than anything else we found.

good luck!
Claire

What Clair3 described above only applies in some niche cases.
Generally when you work in Germany, you need to join a compulsory German health insurance.
If you earn below a certain threshold (approx. EUR4500/month if I remember correctly) it must be the public insurance, which costs approx. 17.5% of your income, of which your employer pays slightly less than half.
If you earn above the threshold, you may be able to choose between the public insurance and a multitude of private ones, all with different rates, coverage, etc., and rates depending on your age and health only (NOT your income).
Once you arrive in Germany, visit a good insurance consultant and follow his/her advice.
(Do not subscribe to any insurance before that unless you are very sure it's compatible with and accepted by German rules!)

I am not from Germany but last year I traveled Germany. On that time I used http://covomo.com/ for my insurance. I found it relatively cheap and also cover most of the area. I am not saying that it is the best but you may take a look. I hope you will find it helpful.