Moving to Bulgaria

Hello, this is my first post in the forum, I cam across this message board while researching about life in Sofia, I might be moving soon to Sofia to work for IBM (not sure if I can name the company, if not mods please edit it) in a call center.

Maybe some of these questions have already been asked so I apologize in a advance but is there anyone else working in a similar or the same company in Sofia that could give me an idea of what to expect? Also Izgrev, 1113 Sofia, Bulgaria that's the address of the place where I would be working. How is the area to find a place to live near by considering it I wouldn't have a driver's license for the first few months? How reliable is the public transportation, keeping in mind I might need to go to work/home at 4 am?

Thank you

Hi
The area of Izgrev is considered good, keeping in mind the maintenance of Sofia which isn't that good, if you want to hire an apartment nearby it will be more expensive, around 300 euro/ month or higher (always a bit - but not too much - higher for foreigners), also depending on the size .

You have an underground line very close
Public transport is safe and the city is generally safe.  Public transport works from 5 AM till midnight, so at 4 AM you'll have to hire taxis, which are quite cheap: around 0.40 - 0.45 euro cents per km at night and cheaper during the day..

Regarding the driver's license, it is required to prove with documents the completion of PRIMARY school (a way to force Gypsies to go to primary school), so apart from the driving license from the respective country you should have a document (diploma + MARKS) proving that you have completed the primary school. I know it sounds stupid but that's the way it is for now.... You can also check at any Bulgarian consulate regarding this.