Bringing cats to Nicaragua

I'm moving to Nicaragua in 4 weeks, I can't wait, very excited!  I think I have everything planned, I'm very nearly ready to go but I still have a couple questions about bringing my cats.  I feel a little guilty bringing them, it'll be stressful and possibly dangerous for them but I can't find a good home for them here and I can't give them to just anyone.  They're part of my family.  I'll keep them as safe as I possibly can.  My biggest question is, can I bring them with me if I don't have residency status?  I had planned on going as a visitor until I make any final decisions about when or if I apply for residency. I'll likely be investing in a business and will be eligible for residency but that will be at least a few months in the future.  Can I still bring my pets?  If anyone has any information I would really appreciate hearing it.  Canada doesn't have a Nicaraguan embassy so do I still have to get the embassy stamped paperwork done?  I have read of people not doing it and getting through customs fine.  I would have to get the paperwork to an embassy in the US and back to me in time (10 days) and still keep everything in line with my flight/travel plans.  Could be tough.

I never considered that I would not be able to bring my cats. and dog, from what I understand make sure they have all there shots up to date and there should be no problem. I am leaving in November for a piece of property that I purchased. I leave from Canada. I feel the same way about bringing my cats but they are old and fat and already rescued by me once. I can't with good conscience drop them back at the pound. I you hear different about bringing your animals can you let me know? Have all your paperwork ready for either the airport customs or the boarder crossings. copies of your vet certificates for shots etc.

I'm here in Nicaragua now! Arrived two days ago.  Loving it, can't imagine why I didn't do this sooner:)
Bringing my cats was the Number One worry of planning the entire trip.  I got their shots a month in advance, just before we left I brought them back to the vet for the tri-lingual general good health form.  I called the CFIA for the form and emailed it to my vet.  The vet examined the cats, filled in the form (in blue ink) and I took it to the CFIA for an official stamp.  I got two of everything, it cost extra but I wanted to have one set with me and another with the cats, just in case something went missing or wrong somehow.  Nothing went wrong.  Very smooth trip, very smooth entry to Nicaragua.  On the plane I filled out the customs form stating I was bringing live animals, after I got through customs someone approached me, brought me into a private room where she filled out and stamped another official form, charged me $28 USD and sent me and my cats on our way.

The poor kitties spent about 21 hours in those small cages. I took them in cabin with me so the cages have to fit under the seat in front.  They were so quiet I had to keep checking to see if they were alive!  We all survived, though it was very exhausting.  They're still recovering, though starting to come around now.  They've been hiding since we got here except this morning:) I trained them in their cages for about 3 months.  getting them accustomed to leashes and harnesses and the cages.

There are so many dogs here!  They're everywhere.  No cats to be seen.  My kitties will definitely be house pets from now on.  They sit in front of the security door watching the dogs, chickens, horses, people go by and seem to be just fine with being house cats.

Than.k you for that uplifting note! I felt a lot better after I read it

we have a lawyer that is helping with questions re immigration to nica. he has advised us that bringing in animals is not any kind of problem. we are coming from texas but i dont see a big difference between can and usa in this. ive looked it up online on may blogs and nica govt sites...nowhere does it have an issue with cats or dogs.. our big concern was the semi world wide ban on pitbulls. but central american countries do not have a ban. phew. and cats are usually much easier than dogs to immigrate. all that is necessary is a  vet certificate within 1o days of the transport/immigration date saying the animal is in good health with no communicable disease and vaccines up to date.
i would look into getting ur fur babies to nica. happy to give you our lawyer's firm

how was ur paperwork situation when you went?