Cost of living in Malaysia

Hi Guys

This is devendra from Mumbai, India. I have got an offer from a company in KL, Malaysia. The offer is for RM 11,000 per month. I would want to rent an apartment in the area Little India, Brickfields. Let me know what would be my rent per month. I would want to have kitchen as well as i would be cooking food at home.

I spoke with some agents in KL on phone and they were saying rent would be around RM 2500 per month. Is it so much expensive. I would be coming to KL alone. So expenses details should be for one single person. I would not be drinking or partying.

Eagerly waiting for replies from you all experts.

With a salary at that level RM2500 is nothing.  In fact, the rent would be even higher for a decent modern place.  You can make good savings.

Look back through the Forum for information about the COL in Malaysia.  There are dozens of postings with full information.

Hi gravita

Thanks for ur reply. I know there would be savings but I am looking for an apartment to be around RM 1500 to RM 1800 max as I have other priorties and considerations.

So it would be of great help if u all can suggest some apartments with rates. Or if u can share some agents name and number

well sir
i think if u r doing job in a company which r paying u very good pay as u said 11,000 ringt
so u said them that they will manage  some cheap place for u, in fact if company giving u that much then resident should be they provided u
well in brick field i think agent told u only   Luxury apartment price ,not normal r cheap apartment (room price)

so i think u should search by u r self ,on google ,wrote (mentioned) brickfield cheap resident
take care
best luck
if u need more information u can asked without hesitation

Check out what is available on mudah.my, iproperty.my etc. and do a bit of research about property rental in KL. I am sure you will find something that you are prepared to pay for.

If you want to have a room in a condo, then that will cost you even less:

www.ihomerent.comwww.ibilik.mywww.iroomrent.comhttp://www.mudah.my/Kuala-Lumpur/Rooms-for-rent-2100

Palm court condominium where most of indians national working staying there, the rental is about RM900-1200. It condo house with 2 or 3 rooms with kitchen complete house near by  Little India. Dont go for RM2,500.00. Its too expensive

Thank u

subra

According to Expatistan, KL is 41% more expensive than Mumbai.

http://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-livin … pur/mumbai

You can check out costs at this website. It is possible to change the currency:

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/co … rrency=MYR

As mentioned elsewhere, often foreigners dont get shown the cheapest accommodation or are told that a particular unit has been rented out, when they enquire. Expats from around the world often want to live in the modern expat areas as well, which are quite pricey. But with a bit of persistence and a lot of personal research it is possible to sort out a reasonable place to live which is convenient to the work place.

The only fixed issue is income tax and the rules are more complex than just the 182 days rule. If a person leaves the country during the 182 day period for more than 14 days for a holiday the day count gets zeroed and starts again. Work-related absence does not affect the day count, nor does ill health and family emergencies. 

It is very important to do a lot of research so that nothing comes as a surprise. (Such as the deposit required for a condo or even a room is usually 2 1/2 months of the rent up front - and pay the first month in advance as well.)

Few years back most of Indian expat's prefer location was brickfields , Now no one such interest to stay that due to high crime rate.If your office is not near to KL sentral , i would suggest not to stay in brickfields or little India . There is no charm to stay in  high crime place and also low grade dirty apartments  like -Palm court .
It's very difficult to find  whole apartment in RM 1500-1800 , even in palm court .You can get studio in Mutiara residency near to little India RM 1800 onward .

Hi jyotiran

I thought brickfield was safest place to live in kl. My office address is quill 9 office petaling jaya.... so where should I stay which would be safest place to live. i will also need good Iindian restaurants and good grocery stores in the area....

Brickfields kuala lumpur

You can stay in petaling jaya near to your office . It's a nice place .
About indian restaurants - you will not get that much compare to brickfields , better you come first and observer the place . Life is cool here , no worries . I am sure you will not get any food problem here .

What about good groceries store in the area... and is it safer... what would be the rent for apartment per month. What would be utilities cost.....

It seems $2500 is about the price of KL Sentral or even parts of Bangsar for that matter. Mudah.my is a good place to search because its locals doing most of the listing and inquirying there. You can also easily find agents to contact through Mudah.my, too.  iProperty has more expensive listings, i guess they are hoping to attract a richer crowd.

One thing though, as Malaysians are a bit racist it may help to have a local make inquiries for you. I, as a foreigner, have had extremely hard times renting property: "we dont rent to foreigners," "we only rent to young and pretty chinese girls," "we dont care for westerners," etc etc etc. Each race prefers to rent to their own race but be patient and you will find normal, openminded people to deal with.

Devendra Tharad wrote:

Hi jyotiran

I thought brickfield was safest place to live in kl. My office address is quill 9 office petaling jaya.... so where should I stay which would be safest place to live. i will also need good Iindian restaurants and good grocery stores in the area....

Personally I dont think there is anywhere truly safe or unsafe but there are unsafe activities which invite problems.
Are you a drug user on the prowl at nite looking to score?
Do you comb bars looking for prostitutes?
Are you a girl walking alone at nite in Chow Kit?
Do you often invite perfect strangers into your house?
Do you walk down a street laughing at people or insulting them?
Are you a sucker for scams?
Do you carry a weapon and ready to use it?
By your dress do you attract attention or have a loud disposition?
Are you the type to have an accident and run away from the scene of the crime?
Do you use a laptop or expensive electronics in public places?
Do you do drive down the road with your car windows open?

List goes on but in 15 years in KL I never once had a problem and Ive lived around KL and around the country in various environments. Its true that perfectly innocent people are involved in crimes like snatch thefts but its unfair of those same people to say that they were engaging in risky behavior and then have trouble and then call Malaysia unsafe. Walking down the street in a bikini doesnt mean the girl wants to be raped and robbed but thats not how other people see it and showing too much skin IS an invitation in a place like Malaysia. Mind your behavior and you'll have the least problems no matter what neighborhood you live.

I have  been offered 12500 MYR. As a bachelor how much i can save considering average life style.Neither too cheap nor too hi fi. Below is my employer break up but i would want to come as bachelor .

Components
MYR
Salary
Accommodation
Family expenses
Transport
Income tax

Total Expenses

Net savings

Savings in INR/month

For cost of living www.numbeo.com

ive used Numbeo 10000x times and found it to be pretty accurate. Now Im using it for Vietnam study.