What does health cost in Malta?

Hello guys, one of the things I haven't really thought about is what health costs in Malta, meaning general insurance and particular doctor and hospital visits. I've lived in Germany and Sweden and while in Germany there was a monthly fee to be paid actively (either public or private insurance) and no fee at all when going to the doctor, in Sweden was very different since health costs there were paid by employer and you only paid 200 krones (20 euro) for each visit.

So how is it done in Malta? I have to say, I practically never go to a doctor, so far once a year max, fingers crossed.
Hope you can help me, I would appreciate it.

Hello Epoch,

treatment in public hospitals and health centres is provided free of charge, whereas you'll have to pay for things like dental care (except emergencies) and prescription medicines (except within a three-day period after an emergency). More details on health coverage in Malta are to be found here: ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=1021&langId=en&intPageId=1746  Unforeseen medical treatment - Malta. 

europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/health/unplanned-healthcare/going-to-hospital-abroad/

, where there's more information on the issue.

The contact details  for the Entitlement Unit in that linked article are incorrect.

Check article on this forum regarding Residence and Health.

Your Europe wrote:

Hello Epoch,

treatment in public hospitals and health centres is provided free of charge

only if you qualify by
1. transferring existing rights from another EU country
or
2. paying social security contributions

just being resident does not qualify