Drivers license problem

I was told all that I need to do is go to Detran in Rio and provide them with the necessary paper work and to turn over my American drivers license.  I know that I need to take a physicological  test and a physical test.  Now I'm told that there is a written test in Portugese...  I'm not fluent in the language.  I can't even spell it.  I've been here two years and know enough to get by but that'ts all.  Does anyone have suggestions.

Crack the books, big time! If you aren't able to carry on a basic conversation, read and write a bit of the language your out of luck regarding the written test.

what books?  I don't have any books.

I am coming to Macary to borrow yours.

Car, license or books????    :D    Gave up the first two long ago. Books.... well that's another story, I have tons of 'em, for my English students and for my Portuguese students.

I took the test in Vitoria ES. in March 2014. There was no written test just the medical and eye test and a psycological which doesn't require any Portuguese. They allowed my wife to accompany me in case I needed translation of the instructions. It was a very simple process.

good Luck
Jim

Thanks for the heads up on this one Jim, it's appreciated! It's sure going to help the OP greatly.

Always happy to put in my experience even though  it may not repeat itself.

That IS great to know jland912! And a LOAD off MY mind!! Thanks.

And William what is "the OP"??

OP = original poster

Oh, ok. Thanks. Never would have guessed that.

Thank you so much.  You just made my day.  I've been real worried that I wasn't going to be able to drive here legally. I don't live far from Victoria.  Do you plan on been there for long?  I live in Sou Fransico de Itabopoana.

My wife lives here She was born in Santa Teresa ES. We have our home here.

My wife and I live here also.  I raise turkeys and my raises chickens.  We are retired.

The same for me in Sampa. No problem! No written test, only a small eye exam and a joke of a psychological exam. Done! :)

I took the test today.  Since I don't speak a lot of Portuguese I was worried that I was going to have problems.  I had problems understanding the instructions.  The people from Detran were super nice and I did get through the process.  I was really worried but was told not to worry by two people here on expat bloc.  That advice gave me the courage to get through this today.  Thank you for the help.

JIM

Did you have to surrender your US driver's license ?
I lived here for over 8 years and have always used the AAA temp license. Never had a problem.
If you're not going back and forth to the US I guess it could be.
Most of the police don't know anything about foreign licenses, they just look at it with a blank stare, and give it back to you.
Guy

If you are in Brazil for more than 180 days per year you are required to apply for a Brazilian Driver's License (Carteira Nacional de Habilitação). Once you've been granted permanency I don't believe they will continue to count from passport entry stamps any longer. I think from the date on your Cédula they'll allow you 180 days and beyond that it's necessary to have the CNH.

When you apply to DETRAN to exchange a foreign DL for the CNH you are required to surrender your original (foreign) Driver's License.

I don't remember any police checking my passport ???
Just handed them my AAA dl and done.
NO way I am going to hand over my SU driver's license !
I might give them my NZ though !