Living costs in Lae

I am offered a job in Lae and would like to know how much the day to day living will cost for me and my wife per month. The following is included in my package. Secured housing, company vehicle, medical, cellphone. We need to pay our electricity, garbage removal food and all other day to day living stuff.

Hi Jaco Immelman,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I suggest you to try the website www.numbeo.com concerning cost of living, it may help you.

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers:

Jaco Immelman wrote:

I am offered a job in Lae and would like to know how much the day to day living will cost for me and my wife per month. The following is included in my package. Secured housing, company vehicle, medical, cellphone. We need to pay our electricity, garbage removal food and all other day to day living stuff.

Try www.numbeo.com

Cost of living in Lae is detailed on this site. rainylae.com

FYI

KL

Hello!

I'll be moving to Lae in a few days... And I forgot to buy power supply adapter type I beforehand. I'll be bringing some of my electronic devices. I can only find them being sold in amazon and they do not deliver the item in PNG. Is it readily available in Lae and for how much?
Any comment will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

You should buy one before you fly out. Or buy one at duty free on the way.

Stumpy, thanks for the advice... i might do just that.

Hello Jaco :)

My husband and I have been living in Lae about 5 years now. Lae City, in my opinion, is a great place to live.

Garbage removal is about K60 every 3 months although they are known to be inconsistent with rubbish collection. You will be issued different coloured stickers for your bin once you pay the fee.

Electricity depends on the electrical appliances you use, how often you wash, how often you use the air conditioning. To give you a rough estimate, it's just my husband and I in a 3 bedroom unit. We use aircondition every day but only in 2 major rooms. We wash every 2nd day and we never use the dishwasher provided. Everything else that we need electricity for is just our normal everyday kitchen appliance, the TV and charging our phones, laptop, etc and that amounts to K800! It can go up to K1000 if we have visitors and we turn on all the aircondition units in the house.
* Our aircondition units are old and are not serviced as often as they should be so they could even be a contributing factor to why the bill is so high.

Grocery shopping is close to K1800 - K2000 for a fully stocked fridge, pantry and other miscellaneous items. This is bulk shopping for an entire month! Drinking water is also included in this amount. We buy 19 litre bottles from 'Pure Water' which is the cheapest option for drinking water.

You could spend way less than what we do on groceries because you might stock your cupboard with different items, especially if your diet isn't a "Pacific Island" diet like ours 😂 No offence to my fellow Pacific Islanders ☺

Vegetables are cheap! I send my house meri on market runs every fortnight and for K50 I am able to stock my fridge with every kind of vegetable and tropical fruit you can think of! Again, it really depends on what you want so you can spend less or more.

Thats about all the information I could put together for you. I hope I was of some help.

Have a good day!

Didn't realise this post by Jaco was 4 years old!!

Hope it helps someone else with a similar question!

Hi
Thank you for your post. My husband just got a job there and I was very worried about all the costs. You really helped me to relax a bit. Have a great day.
J

Check Brian Bell Ltd in Lae.