'Good villages' around Veliko Tarnovo

Hi there
My husband I are are coming to Veliko Tarnovo in October for about a month to check it out as a possible place to relocate to from India  where we've been living for about 11 years. If we think it's for us then the plan is to eventually buy our own home and 3-4 thousand square metres of land, grow veg & fruit & be semi-sustainable. We'd want to integarate as best we can with the local culture...learn the language (well, try to!) etc.

We're already in touch with a couple of people in Bulgaria who have given some really helpful tips  including 'choose your village carefully and then choose a property in the village'. From reading this forum and from what we've been told, choosing a 'good' village in part means one that doesn't have a gypsy population.

We've also been reading that some villages around VT have multiple break-ins and glean that break-ins usually occur when people leave their houses empty for long periods of time. And we'd be interested in hearing the opinions & experience of people here in the forum.  Do break-ins occur usually in villages with, or close to, Gypsy populations? Is it, as a general rule, 'safe' to go away for weekends, for instance, in most villages without being broken in to? We realise there are burglaries everywhere in the world!! But is there a pattern to them in Bulgaria  especially around the VT area?

We'd also love to hear suggestions of 'good' villages for us to initially head to to have a look around  the closer to VT the better. From our experience in India we've found that it can be good to live around a few other ex-pats when it's a permanent home.

With thanks for any insight anyone is able to give.

Hi julesBG ,
just answering a question or two you have asked,
Gypsys in our village , we have NO problems with them at all, infact i would rather employ them than the local Bulgarian, and have done, we have left our home here empty for over 12 months and it was the same when we got back here," as we left it" We live in a village just outside Ruse and there is another couple in the village who are English / German lived in the village for over 8 years, . and in the next village there is another English man 7 years, and we have been here just a short time of 18 months. when we were looking for property we did look around and we wanted to be close to the locals, not on the beach and ful of tourist's. we can go there anytime as we are only 2 hours away if we want to. Yes its good to look around and see different areas , and if you have friends over here all the better. We are about 2 hours away from V.T. so it might be a bit further than you wanted but could be worth a look. Hope you find what your looking for over here , all the best . Adrian.

Hi Adrian thanks very much for sharing your experience. It's great to hear that you're really enjoying life over there - very encouraging - and I love the pics you've posted. We're starting off our recce in VT but open to all possibilities at this point! Thanks for your insights....Jules

Thank you for this post. I totally agree with you. We are here around 2 year. In meantime we were living in Africa too. For both countries we were warned for burgers, but nothing ever happens. In Plovdiv we left car opened with wise opened doors (we forgot) for most than 2 hours. Nothing. We were living closer to 'gypsy town'. Nothing. I have my opinion about Bulgarian people and their looking on the other people.
Do you know that VT is not that small village?
Maybe you should live here for some time, travel around Bulgaria and then you can easier found the place you are looking for.
There are a lot of good places here and I would be very happy to meet you.

HI there thanks for sharing your experience - it's great to hear it. We're coming for a month to look around initially, but like the idea of being close to VT as it combines city and mountains...but we're open to all possibilities right now!!