Car Rental

Just got back from 2 great weeks checking out our property and getting the ball rolling on all sorts of things. When we booked dates back in May we were enticed by a great offer for car rental with Alamo, so we booked a double cab pick up gave them dates and that we thought was settled. 24 hours before we left we got a reminder e mail from the Alamo, great.
When we get to the office at Belize airport and we are told sorry we have NO vehicles at present, but we have made an arrangement with Thrifty at the same rates they can get you the vehicle you want. The vehicle Thrifty were offering in replacement of a pick up was a Kia sorento, not that similar a vehicle really but the guy filled in the paper work and reluctantly we agreed to the CDW fees. When we come out to get the car he suddenly remembers they have a trooper available and yes we will keep the same price for it, and it does get much better mileage than the kia. This was obviously a more rugged vehicle and after some moments we said OK we would take the Trooper.
Long story short within 24 hours check engine light comes on, phone thrifty, thats cos it just had a new pump put in and it has probably triggered that. 2nd day at a police check a very Nice Rasta police man checks my drivers license have a little chat then notices the road tax disc is a month out of date. He did not ask for the spot fine he could have demamded  but let us off just as we were getting the rental papers out. We saw that same cop 3 more times in the 2 weeks he just grinned and waved us through each time. Drive down humming bird highway I find steering very loose feel nervous. but manage to control a nasty skid around mile 28, same steering problems a couple of days later coming back. The rental guy not answering phone. 2 days before we leave stopped in check point in a different area, this cop sees tax disc so we show him the rental agreement. He says "ok where are the docs for this car", when we read them we have docs for the KIA we did not take. Police man takes rental company details and points out to us we are breaking lots of rules including being uninsured tell him we leave tomorrow says we can go but he will be contacting thrifty. When we take car back the guys at "thrifty" surprisingly UNHELPFUL, no they have not heard anything from police and will take no responsibility and claim, had we had an accident we would be covered as he had written the word trooper on the back of the paper.  No other details just one word. So neither of those 2 company's will get my business again and I am claiming the extra CDW charges back from my Credit card company, not holding my breath for a good result though. Just words of warning to others. Serves me right I have always rented from Crystal and had no problems so the thought of saving a couple of hundred dollars left me illegally driving a bad vehicle for 2 weeks which was heavy on gas too.

We had similar problems with Avis.  We reserved and paid online. when arriving at Belize Airport, they stated they did not have our car.  sorry!
Nor could they reimburse us for the rental fee we had paid, we would have to file a claim online.
Thankfully, we had the money to rent another car and went with Crystal.  They were great.  We will definitely only use Crystal on our next trip.

Funny how we thought going with a well known company would protect us!!