Family Relocating with Kids to Work in Kingston - Help?

Hi all - We currently have an excellent opportunity to relocate to Jamaica from a large US city where we currently live.  We would be working in Kingston.  My wife, myself, and our kids (middle-schoolers) all have questions regarding the best areas to live and the overall experience.  Weve obviously read a great deal about the challenges regarding tough neighborhoods, crowded streets, intense poverty, sexist attitudes, etc.  So Im trying to find the best case scenario for making this move.  A silver lining in all the opinion and reviews.  Whatll it be like for the kids as they enter high school?  Are there neighborhoods and areas of town that rise above all the warnings and comments related to not-so-great areas?  Is it possible for a US family to make the move and still feel grounded, safe, and fulfilled?  I know that all sounds heady - I just cant find enough info to make the transition easy or even palatable.  Any help would be great.  By the way, were likely able to afford a good school for the kids (I hear AISK is nice) and moreover, were probably not on a budget when it comes to real estate or the area of Jamaica we choose to live.  I know we dont want to be more than 30 minutes or so from Kingston.  Any thoughts??  Where would you live?  What do you think itll be like living there for an American family?  How will the kids enjoy school and friends?  Thanks again.

Hello Family
1st congrats on your decision to relocate to Jamaica. Lucky for you you have the advantage of having employment as soon as you get here.  Now I know you've read all the horror stories but there are many expats who live in and around the Kingston and St Andrew region.  In regards to schools as you mentioned AISK is a very good choice as the facilities are excellent and a lot of expat children go there so would it would be fairly easy for your children to settle in. The other choice could be Hillel Academy.  Both of these schools are near to pretty good neighbourhoods and easy to get to from neighbourhoods such as in around Long Mountain/Beverley Hills and or Norbrook/Cherry Garden, Manor Park/Stony Hill areas, plus there are many gated community properties (townhouses and aprtments) available.  I'm sure you will be able to make friends with those you work with and more than likely there will be other expats working at the same place. Also the US Embassy based in Kingston should have a wealth of information as there staff are also expats.  In regards to convenience, you can get everything you get back home but it takes a bit more effort.  The local coffee shop, pattisserie, deli and supermarket may not be just around the corner of where you live but they can still be found in and around Kingston.  You should probably look at some of the property websites for the Kingston and St Andrew region such as Valerie Levy & Associates. I wish you luck with your relocation.