Pets and Quarantine

watch this space. News to come sooooon!! :)

Wow - that would be awesome. Let us know - can't wait... Coming over in a week for a 3 week holiday to decide on this move... looking so forward to getting on a plane and new adventures!!!

hy i am italian in march i will came to live in mauritius because my wife is from the iland,i will like import a dog,i know i need send request 3months before but i dont know a dog import from italy how long need do quarantene,and if the blak russian terrier is in the ristriction to not enter any one can halp me to know please

aussiedodo wrote:

Things do take a long time in Mauritius to change...
I know you love your pets intensely but why not adopt a pet here? There are so many roaming the streets, homeless, and I know that PAWS have many pets up for adoption. They will be put down if not adopted...

Aussiedodo you seem to be missing a very vital point in all of this... I love my boxer an want HIM with me!! your crazy, I dont just pick up dogs/animals wherever I go an leave them behind when I leave!!! I bought my dog to S A from Spain, I love him an he is very much part of my life!!Maybe if I get there an I feel that I could look after another animal I would get a rescue one an when I leave I would take it with me!!! Why do you think
there are so many animals in shelters!!

Sorry for rant, touched a nerve!! Good luck with finding your kitty a home, I know in some circumstances you have no choice.

I will definately not be moving over if I cant have him with me...FACT!

Hello!!!

IŽve been reading all your posts because in 1 month time probably I will move to Mauritius...I have a little westy, and I want to arrange everything to bring him with me...maybe not in July, but as soon as possible....how is the restriction right now???

Thank you very much!

Hi AnaMi The ban on import of dogs was lifted in february and there is no problem bringing your westie with you if you comply with all required tests, I brought my westie over 2 months ago and I am so glad I waited for the ban to be revoked before I moved my family. Good luck with the move!

pinkpoodle wrote:

The ban on import of dogs was lifted in february

That's really a very good news for all animal owners who want to move to Mauritius! :)

Thank you Pinkpoodle!!!

I feel really relaxed now... what do you think is the hardest part of the adventure bringing your dog with you??

I just want to make an idea...

Many thanks!!

Hi
I found it a bit stressful because before you can start with the inocculating and testing , you must have your travel date more or less fixed. Testing for Erlickiosis and Brucella Canis has to be done 45 days from the departure date. One never knows how this testing is going to go as the measures for the rabies antibodies are quite high.If your dog fails the test, you have to re vaccinate, wait and retest which means you cant travel with our pet.Movingto a new country and leaving friends and family is hard ,but for me I couldnt have done it without my dog,so well worth the effort!My vet advised mew to revaccinate against rabbies eventhough the booster wasnt due for another year, she said it was the best way to secure the required levels of antibodies. Good luck, call me if you have more questions.

Hi,
i am planning on going back to mauritius and to bring my bunnies with me. There's 2 of them. Has anyone got some info on what i need to do (quarantine, vaccinations etc; all the requirements). I'll be moving from Melbourne, Australia.

VaaLeRie wrote:

Hi,
i am planning on going back to mauritius and to bring my bunnies with me. There's 2 of them. Has anyone got some info on what i need to do (quarantine, vaccinations etc; all the requirements). I'll be moving from Melbourne, Australia.

If you read my post on bringing your pet to Mauritius (A long post) you will see it contains the phone numbers to ring for information.

I know about dogs and cats but Bunnies ;( Ring them they are very helpful.

Good luck.

Hi Everyone,

I was very exited to find this forum but see it hasn't been updated in ages! Does anyone still check it? Has there been progress on the pet importation situation with the change in laws? We are considering a move to Mauritius from the US and I'm nervous for our pet. Anyone have experience bringing a dog from the US? I imagine it's a longer quarantine than from Europe. Also, she wasn't born in the US; she's from North Africa, she came to the US when she was 5 months old. She is now 3. Is there any hope of bringing her to Mauritius at all? Do they allow advance quarantine at home? I've heard of people doing this when going to places like Australia. FYI she's a smallish shepherd mix, about 45 pounds. Thank you in advance!

We are thinking of moving to Mauritius in a year or 2. My husband is half Mauritian and did live there in the past, so generally knows the ropes!
I am a little concerned about our pets, we have a dog and cat who we will want to bring.
Does anyone know the current length of quarantine for pets bought into Mauritius from UK?
Many thanks  Julie

Hi
As in the previous posts it is still officially 30 days.

However I would ring The Ministry of Agriculture, Quarantine division, number on quite a few of the above posts and the new contact name there, as you need to check if the ban on dogs coming into the Country has been lifted.

This has happened before and the ban is usually lifted after a few months.
Good luck :)