HausMeri Questions

Before accepting my offer of employment in Port Moresby, we want to got through the figures to make sure we're not going backwards financially (particularly with having to pay for school fees ourselves).

I've been advised that it is expected amongst the expat community that we'll hire a HausMeri. If we were to employ a hausmeri, what is their going rate of pay? Also, I don't think we'll need our house cleaned EVERY day (especially as my hubby will be a stay at home dad), is it acceptable to have a haus meri that only comes a few times a week?

And how exactly does a person hire a hausmeri?  :/

Thanks
Alison

K30 to K50 per day depending on services. K50 will include most of the things like laundry, dusting, mopping, ironing/pressing. Leave pressing out and it can come down to K30. You can define the number of days you need the service for.

Dear Rayan,

I would like to know more about family life in PNG. Is it really safe to live with an infant and wife in POM? I am considering a work offer from an international development organization but am curious to dig more for information.

I have reviewed the net quite a lot and would like to hear from you.

kind regards

Khan

Hi Khan,

There are a handful of Pakistanis living here with families and young children. It is as safe as it is in Karachi. Keep on the main roads, avoid late night travel and dodgy areas and you are safe. It is very expensive here so I hope your company will cover housing, utiliities, transportation and schooling costs. Main issue is insufficient health facilities. For regular flu and cough its fine but not so good for a serious issues. Your medical insurance must cover evacuation. Rest its okay. I came here 5 months back with family and have a young kid. So far its been okay. People are nice, weather is not very hot, a couple of shopping malls, beautful lansdcape Going back to Pakistan takes time so keep that in mind as well.

Cheers

hi Alison

most expect that expats will hire a hausmeri but there is nothing wrong with not having one...  i know of a few couples who do not have one...  they started with hiring one then found that it was hard work so now they have none...  Rayan is correct, its in range of 30-50k per day of supposedly 8 hours a day (some turn up late then have to leave early because of safety issue with public transport, so you do not get your paid for hours)...  cutting to the chase, the terms and conditions, payment etc is best to be discussed up front and differs widely in the community (tho sometimes even after agreement, you have to revisit the discussion)... 

my meri is wonderful and we have an understanding between us and she has never overstep the trust between us but some of my friend's meris seem to be hard work...  you have to decided what is fair for both parties...  some issues you may/may not encounter are:- 1) tardiness or plain not turning up to work then breezing in after a few days like nothing has happened, 2) asking for large sums of money for personal loan, 3) sponsorship of local school fee or textbooks for their kids, 4) asking you to help them buy stuff in Australia because its cheaper than here, and expecting that you will give it to them for free, 5) food packages for festival times, ie Easter, Christmas, birthdays, 6) Christmas monetary bonus, plus plus etc...  you also have to discuss how many paid leave days and sick days you are providing...  i give 5 and 6 per above because i want to, and have given small loans only...  but its all up to what yours and her expectations are...  the meris within a compound compare between themselves too by the way...  you may hear "so and so gets this and that, i would like it too"...  no to make it all so drama, just be aware that it may happen and be prepared for it...  like i said, i love my meri, i am lucky and so are many of my friends...

the cost you wanna be watching out for is actually food cost...  its expensive here for fresh food...  if you are vegetarians, you are looking at a head of lettuce k25, carrots 11k per kilo, mushrooms 56k per kilo, broccolli 46k per kilo, a punnet of strawberries 24k...  meat is slightly more than Oz...  of course you can do local market but it depends on how game you are...

Students like myself also have an interest of being a haus meri for expatriates to cater for our daily needs while in school.I study at the University of Papua New Guinea.

Hi , I wonder can you contact me. I am moving to Port Moresby soon to start a new job. I need a Haus Meri and maybe you can help me find one

My email address is ***

Thanks so much

Brad

Moderated by Chris 6 years ago
Reason : For your own safety please avoid sharing your personal contact details on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Bradgee, good afternoon, let me know if you have any luck  otherwise I am keen to help you find a HausMeri. Wish you best with your moving in and new job.
Kindest Regards.
AJM