Renting a house, subletting to others as a foreigner

Hey everybody,

Quick question:  A friend of mine in District 1 rents a house for $750 per month, and he has a 5-year lease.  The house has three floors (ground floor, plus two more) and he lives on the top floor.  The 2nd floor has two apartments, which he had built, and he rents them out, and the rent he receives from them covers the $750 per month of the entire house.  In other words, his tenants subsidize his rent, and his monthly expenses are minimal.  Sounds like a good deal.  The hitch is, he is Viet Kieu, and I'm wondering if full-fledged foreigners can get away with doing this, or are there restrictions on us?  Anybody know?

Thanks!

Dan

Re-rent is not allowed  according to law whether it is locals or foreigners  :)
Best example: He cannot register new tenants' occupancy in local police station without the help of real landlord  :)
Unlawful act:  Possible to register by bribe the location policeman who know the real owner and they are in good terms  ;)

Tailpiece: Many locals and foreigners lease house/apartment to re-rent (business) illegally in Vietnam by bribing the officials! (Corruption is a joint venture!)

charmavietnam wrote:

Re-rent meaning only the owner can offer for rent?

there is nothing restrict on foreigners. It depends on the landlord . Forexample , I have a house for rent . I prepare all legals documents from gervernment to allow me to let foreigner come to live or rent my place. he or she can rents a room or a floor without any problems.

I think there is somewhat some favoritism towards the foreigners, there's actually a 5 bedroom 3 bathroom villa for rent in Binh Chanh District near RMIT for $800, I went to check it out and it's nice.  If the villa was closer to District 1 and my work, I would had rented it and gotten 4 other roommates to rent it for $200 a month.  It's not a crime or illegal so you can surely do it.

Best regards,
Marco

charmavietnam wrote:

Best example: He cannot register new tenants' occupancy in local police station without the help of real landlord  :)
Unlawful act:  Possible to register by bribe the location policeman who know the real owner and they are in good terms  ;)

Tailpiece: Many locals and foreigners lease house/apartment to re-rent (business) illegally in Vietnam by bribing the officials! (Corruption is a joint venture!)

I just know that it is illegal! I have seen and known many people rent the house and let people lease the room when they also live there. Many student do the same in District 3. They rent the house which has many rooms. The renting fee also give them an income.

The Cong An inspectors are more interested in the CONDITION of the premises - they don't want Foreigners living in squats or hovels, even if VN citizens can.

Multiple Foreigners living in a single ownership house should not present problems as the Cong An doesn't really care about Foreigners relationships. However, they DO care where a Vietnamese national is living in a predominantly Foreigner house - the VN cohabitation laws are still in force and only the larger, more tourist oriented cities turn a blind eye. Cong An doesn't care about two VNese sleeping together in an casual relationship but they have and CAN order one party out.

If the house has multiple apartments BUT only has one Pink Book (or the newer compact version) you know the Cong An considers the property as a single entity.

DanFromSF wrote:

Hey everybody,

Quick question:  A friend of mine in District 1 rents a house for $750 per month, and he has a 5-year lease.  The house has three floors (ground floor, plus two more) and he lives on the top floor.  The 2nd floor has two apartments, which he had built, and he rents them out, and the rent he receives from them covers the $750 per month of the entire house.  In other words, his tenants subsidize his rent, and his monthly expenses are minimal.  Sounds like a good deal.  The hitch is, he is Viet Kieu, and I'm wondering if full-fledged foreigners can get away with doing this, or are there restrictions on us?  Anybody know?

Thanks!

Dan

Yes, you can under conditions:
- that the owner agrees to, it should be fixed in the contract
- each person living there is registered

You likely might need your landlord to register yourself and the others on premises

So it sounds like:  (1) as long as the home owner allows it, (2) all tenants are foreigners and (3) everyone is registered then it's not a problem.

Thanks, everybody!

DanFromSF wrote:

So it sounds like:  (1) as long as the home owner allows it, (2) all tenants are foreigners and (3) everyone is registered then it's not a problem.

Thanks, everybody!

As far, as I am concerned, 2 is not correct. As to my knowledge, it also can be let to Vietnamese. However, some guy in charge might interpret it different

l3ully wrote:

As far, as I am concerned, 2 is not correct. As to my knowledge, it lalso can be let to Vietnamese. However, some guy in charge might interpret it different

Yeah, my friend has one tenant that is Vietnamese -- and a female -- but I guess the "safe" thing is to rent to foreigners.

Hi, concerning the cohabitation of foreigners/Vietnamese . Does anyone know where it's actually written in Law that a foreigner can't cohabitate with a VN?   I keep getting all sorts of interpretations of what the Law is.  I know of several guys here paying quarterly "fees" to the little men in green to keep things in order.    I've actually used this to my advantage . A girlfriend wanted to move into my new apartment. The Police arrived sniffing for money the day I moved in. I didn't want her there anyway ( I like my space) , so "unfortunately" I told her to leave and stay with her family.    The look on their faces was priceless.   I'd appreciate if anyone does have a reference to the Laws regarding cohabitation.

Yogi007 wrote:

A girlfriend wanted to move into my new apartment. The Police arrived sniffing for money the day I moved in. I didn't want her there anyway ( I like my space) , so "unfortunately" I told her to leave and stay with her family.    The look on their faces was priceless.

I like the cut of your jib, sir.

Yeah, some members of this expat-blog posted the same with dignity. Truly I am against that kind of 'bribes'.  :)
We can invite them for a drink or meal to our apartment or outside shops if want to get acquainted with them like any others but not as a 'bribe' nature. If so it will be a social harm to others who live in that apartment who cannot/ don't like to practice such things. I don't like someone 'respect' or 'like' or 'love' me because of these kinds of 'bribes'. You can call me miser, for argument but if you think carefully and deeply you know what I mean  :)

Yogi007 wrote:

I know of several guys here paying quarterly "fees" to the little men in green to keep things in order.

Cohabitation for me doesn't work.   I've met a lot of women here and only ONE of them has heard of Man on the moon, the Olympic Games, 9/11 terrorist attacks, Middle East crises, etc etc.  They obviously aren't taught that I schools , and the Internet here is mainly for games. 
SO, to sit on my balcony with a cigar and glass of red wine and have a "conversation" about something other than " I think you have other girlfriend" or possible business venture that I would be financing , is not possible.     There is a solution, and our friend Fredgo should note.  I believe I've found " Nirvana" here.  I love the life style.  The only think that can f&@k everything up is a woman. I've seen too many train wrecks.   Listen up Guys...
No 1. Get a dog..mans best friend. No 2. Have a regular arrangement with a Hooker..with frequent "flyer" points. No 3. If you can't afford the hooker , masturbation is an option ( it's not a crime here yet). Besides how many guys have lost everything because of "7 seconds of dizziness"  that includes Presidents, corporate heads etc etc? It's  a no brainier, cheaper too as an Owner operator.
The only "downside" . The little dog got jealous of the Hooker and sat outside the bedroom door barking as I'm trying to get comfortable.  Ah well, take the good with the bad.   I've got good company with the dog, good sex life and the TV to myself.  No more cartoons.

Hi, I do see your point.  BUT corruption is endemic here and a lot of other countries.  I myself have worked in industries where kickbacks and favours were part and parcel of getting things done.  That's life unfortunately.  As a well known businessman once said, " we are all whores" everyone has their price and can be bought.  It's nothing new. High court Judges, Politicians, Corporate heads etc etc . They've all been caught out and they're supposed to be the smartest people we've got.   I know a guy here that stood his ground and wouldn't pay coffee money etc to get forms stamped and permits signed for his business........he's got nowhere.  If he plays the game he could be in business tomorrow.  As they say, "when in Rome".

Yeah, that's true but actually, we, the society oust him over the provisions of law and did injustice!  People like him normally compel to do so for survival! What a nasty life, huh?

Yogi007 wrote:

I know a guy here that stood his ground and wouldn't pay coffee money etc to get forms stamped and permits signed for his business........he's got nowhere.  If he plays the game he could be in business tomorrow.  As they say, when in Rome....

DanFromSF: you should come back vietnam to support your friend about that .

Yogi007 wrote:

As they say, "when in Rome".

I look at it as a cost of doing business.  Would I pay $50 in bribes per month if it meant I could collect $800 in rent?  You bet.   Life's too short to stomp your feet and pound your fists.

:one one of the BEST advice I have come across in this forum Thank you Sir

Yogi007 wrote:

Cohabitation for me doesn't work.   I've met a lot of women here and only ONE of them has heard of Man on the moon, the Olympic Games, 9/11 terrorist attacks, Middle East crises, etc etc.  They obviously aren't taught that I schools , and the Internet here is mainly for games. 
SO, to sit on my balcony with a cigar and glass of red wine and have a "conversation" about something other than " I think you have other girlfriend" or possible business venture that I would be financing , is not possible.     There is a solution, and our friend Fredgo should note.  I believe I've found " Nirvana" here.  I love the life style.  The only think that can f&@k everything up is a woman. I've seen too many train wrecks.   Listen up Guys...
No 1. Get a dog..mans best friend. No 2. Have a regular arrangement with a Hooker..with frequent "flyer" points. No 3. If you can't afford the hooker , masturbation is an option ( it's not a crime here yet). Besides how many guys have lost everything because of "7 seconds of dizziness"  that includes Presidents, corporate heads etc etc? It's  a no brainier, cheaper too as an Owner operator.
The only "downside" . The little dog got jealous of the Hooker and sat outside the bedroom door barking as I'm trying to get comfortable.  Ah well, take the good with the bad.   I've got good company with the dog, good sex life and the TV to myself.  No more cartoons.

Yogi007 wrote:

Haha, just saw this old post. I like your style. I was fortunate enough to find a Vietnamese woman who went beyond what was being taught in school and have good knowledge of the world, and lots of opinions. But yes, many Vietnamese women think the state of New York borders California, so having a real discussion with one of them could be a bit of a challenge. But if one day I end up single again, I'll probably do what you're doing, minus the dog. I love dogs but I didn't see any that were my "type" while I was in Vietnam... and I don't think a Golden Retriever would be happy in the heat of Vietnam :-)