E-residency how long til you got yours?

everytime the post bringer comes , i get all excited in hope that i shall have notification my id card is ready to pick up ..its only been 4 weeks but one of my husbands collegues says theirs only took 3 weeks.
how long did people have to wait ...can it be refused ?? do they phone or is it postal - the woman on desk when she went through forms said about 3-4 weeks ...so i guess im just panicking lol

I had to wait 3-4 weeks, but from what I've heard, 5-6 weeks are not that unusual.

we got ours last week, applied  on 30/03 :/

Took 6 months for ours last year but things have speeded up now, have heard of people getting it in 2 weeks but I think 4-6 weeks is about average.

Two months when I got mine, sent in forms on  27 February got the card in my hand May 2014

2 weeks for us!

stef88 wrote:

2 weeks for us!

thats no fair lol

i am assuming they write to you ??  is it worth me going to see if its at the collection point ??

You will get a letter with two pin codes, saying that your card is ready for pick-up.
(Took two weeks for me - maybe they're working on summer schedule now - ie. a bit more relaxed ... ;) )

... and when you collect your card and they ask you for that letter, make sure you get the letter back or else you will have a card but no PIN codes. Better yet, memorize/copy all important information before giving them the letter.

Ours  took 4 weeks, however after 3 weeks of waiting I called them and the lady who answered told me that they're ready and we can come pick them up. Nobody asked us for the letters when we went to pick them up. The letters arrived at least a week after we already had our e-Res documents.

what number did you call sandra ? still not got mine

matt went to the office today and they tell him they only processed our application yesterday ... er we applied almost 5 weeks ago .. dont think i'm impressed at the time delay .. but hopefully we should now recieve the letter soon ... fingers crossed

robpw2 wrote:

matt went to the office today and they tell him they only processed our application yesterday ... er we applied almost 5 weeks ago .. dont think i'm impressed at the time delay .. but hopefully we should now recieve the letter soon ... fingers crossed

When I first moved here, it was around a 3-4 year waiting time. Then it got down to around 8 months....5 weeks ain't so bad :)

still no sign ,   anyone else still waiting ....

robpw2 wrote:

still no sign ,   anyone else still waiting ....

Why are you stressing Robert? :cool:

because i dont want to be deported lol ... i don't know , i just am worried they have lost something or they are going to refuse .. etc

if they lost anything they will email you, they did that to me saying i didnt give all the papers, and after few email exchange me saying i did, and they i didn't suddenly they wrote that all is ok and they found all the papers needed :D

if you ar an eu ntional they cannot deport you - period - you have a right to live in Malta - no need to stress abiut   its not your problem that the dept responsible for dealing with your application cant cope or are not capable of doing so timeously...

robpw2 wrote:

because i dont want to be deported lol ... i don't know , i just am worried they have lost something or they are going to refuse .. etc

There's no problem.  You are living in La La land (Malta) so chill out.  When we first applied for residency we were told to "come back next year when we're less busy". With the replacement card we waited for nearly another year. RR :|

toonarmy9752 wrote:

if you ar an eu ntional they cannot deport you - period - you have a right to live in Malta - no need to stress abiut   its not your problem that the dept responsible for dealing with your application cant cope or are not capable of doing so timeously...

This is now my word of the week.........

Well, I'm living with an EU national who has been waiting for the e-residence card since her application 'last' year ! She did not receive any queries or e-mails - just not the card either !

There are thousands other too .....

Cheers
Ricky

From my experience, the 1st time I've applied for the EID card, it took longer. I've applied for it back in May 2013, got an interview for Aug and if i am not wrong, I got it at the end of Sep, beginning of Oct 2013. Then, I've changed of address and my 2nd EID card with the new address, was ready in about 2 weeks.

I've applied to my ID today and the people told me that I can receive a letter in one or two months. Well... ok :)

But I'm a little bit concerned about one question: nobody gave me any kind of confirmation that they received my documents. Is this normal?

Thanks people!

pmichelazzo wrote:

I've applied to my ID today and the people told me that I can receive a letter in one or two months. Well... ok :)

But I'm a little bit concerned about one question: nobody gave me any kind of confirmation that they received my documents. Is this normal?

Thanks people!

That's normal! If there's something, they will let you know :)

Good luck!

Hehehe Mantonas, ok.

It's strange because in Brazil we need three or four proofs of anything, with copies and copies of the copies :)

Thanks man!

You did apply in person, right? They probably asked you copies of some documents, I guess. As long as you provided with everything they've asked you for, you should be fine :)

Yes, in person.

I made two "dossiers"; one for me and one for my partner (she is a "family member"). The girl in the corner check the documents and made some questions (proof of relationship, the most). After that she told me to wait a little bit just to check again with someone inside. 10 minutes after, she come back and told that I just need to wait a letter to catch the ID's because everything's fine.

So, I feel that I don't have problems, just sit and wait :)

pmichelazzo wrote:

Yes, in person.

I made two "dossiers"; one for me and one for my partner (she is a "family member"). The girl in the corner check the documents and made some questions (proof of relationship, the most). After that she told me to wait a little bit just to check again with someone inside. 10 minutes after, she come back and told that I just need to wait a letter to catch the ID's because everything's fine.

So, I feel that I don't have problems, just sit and wait :)

There you, you're sorted then, no need to worry :D

Sounds good ;)

Just another question (this is a challenge, right :)

My partner is not EU-national but "family member" of a EU-national.

Her tourist visa it's almost in the end and I feel that she don't receive the ID until there. How this could be a problem?

Unfortunately, I am not the most qualified person to answer to that question and I do not want to give you any wrong information. However, have a look at this page HERE and hopefully, you'll find some useful information that may answer to your question.

Thanks Mantonas, I will read it!

Hi Mantonas,

Maybe you know the answer to this question: We plan to apply under the economically self-sufficient category and obtain the e-residence card. For how long is the e-residence card valid? To renew the card for another period I assume one will need to prove his economic self-sufficiency again?

MoscowClog wrote:

Hi Mantonas,

Maybe you know the answer to this question: We plan to apply under the economically self-sufficient category and obtain the e-residence card. For how long is the e-residence card valid? To renew the card for another period I assume one will need to prove his economic self-sufficiency again?

Hi MoscowClog, from what I know, all the IED cards are valid for a period of 5 years! I'd say so, if you need to renew it again, you'd probably need to proof about your self-sufficient status once again, but I am not 100% sure. Hopefully, someone else will be able to confirm this.

Hi MoscowClog

After five years, you can apply for permanent residency OR  (Although this might be a detriment if you plan to do any tax planning in the future) But as Mantonas pointed out - The renewal is granted after showing that you still fulfil the said requirements in exercising your free movement under EU Law.

Alternatively, you can also apply for Naturalization after the qualifying years (This is easy said than done as granting sure is at the discretion of the Minister)

Regards
Meddie

Meddie,

Thanks. Currently I'm a big fan of the source & remittance basis system. Should you apply for permanent residency after five years does your tax situation changes? I do believe this is optional right so you can choose to simply prolong your status quo?

Regards,

MoscowClog

Hi MoscowClog

Once the ID card is issued, you will become an ordinary resident for tax purposes (subjected to the 183 day rule), but not Malta domiciled. You will then be taxed on income arising in Malta and on income arising abroad and remitted to Malta. However, income arising abroad and not remitted to Malta is not subject to Maltese tax. Capital Gains arising abroad are not taxable in Malta even if the money is remitted to Malta.

If you apply for permanent residency in Malta after the qualifying years, the non-domicile argument will be very difficult to prove unless you still maintain sufficient ties with your country of origin. Remember the tax rules are only excellent tax planning opportunities for people who take up Maltese residence, but do not transfer their domicile here.

A person may have a domicile in one country while maintaining nationality or residency in another country. Unlike nationality, no person can be without a domicile even if stateless.

Kind Regards
Meddie

i got my id card yay .. all happy here :)

Thanks Meddie! Good to know about domicile as it is not a very common concept outside the Anglo Saxon world.

SMeddie wrote:

Hi MoscowClog

Once the ID card is issued, you will become an ordinary resident for tax purposes (subjected to the 183 day rule), but not Malta domiciled.

you can be tax resident even if you are not resident - the issuance of the eResidence card doesn't play a part - spend 183 days or more in Malta in a calendar year, and you are tax resident, even if havent applied for an eResidence card, which unless spent 3 months in a row in Malta you wouldn't be entitled to