Move to Jeddah or Dammam?

Hello, all!

First post on the forum for me. I'm Hashim, and am going to be moving out from Scotland to Saudi very soon to teach English. I'm just out of uni and primarily want to work in Saudi because of the higher pay, and ability to practice my Arabic (which I graduated in).

I've been offered a job which will either be in Dammam or Jeddah, and they're taking my preference into account supposedly. I won't be living on a compound.
Dammam's proximity to Bahrain is attractive for potential weekend trips, if I feel the need for some more familiar fun than what's on offer locally. I imagine this is a fairly common trip for expats?
Jeddah sounds cool because, well, it seems like things are happening there unlike in other places. The 'least conservative' city, somewhat of an art scene, etc etc.

Apart from this, I have little idea about the potential benefits and drawbacks of each place. Anyone here lived in either/both and able to enlighten me?

Hello Hashim Assalam o Alakum,

Welcome to Saudi Arabia and to EB.

You will have a wonderful time in Saudi Arabia. Saudis and all the Arabs really respect  and appreciate expats غير ناطقين arabic speakers. Spoken Urdu will also be a huge advantage because there are lots of Pakistani and Indian workers at all levels.

Please let us know if you want any specific information about the life in Saudi.

Hi Hashim!

Welcome in Saudi Arabia :)

For your good luck I experienced living in Jeddah and now I am in Khobar which is Dammam also, let me give you a little help.

Jeddah
Considered as big city in Saudi after Riyadh the capital, has hundreds of development projects and has different culture comparing to Riyadh
- has a lot of expats, from different countries and cultures.
- has a lot of places to visit and entertainment for singles and families
- has a little bit freedom in female clothing.
- If you are willing to have Umrah or Hajj, you will be very happy to live there.

Dammam.
Is a big city and it is the center of the Eastern area, comparing to Khobar "which is 15 min driving distance" Khobar is much better, so I suggest if it is possible for you to live in Khobar
- has a different culture comparing to any other Saudi city
- Khobar & Dhahran has a lot of western compounds and western Expats
- has a little bit freedom in female clothing
- 45 min driving to Bahrain " beside the borders procedures time which in some cases takes hours"
- Jubail " 1 hour driving distances from Dammam" also beautiful city for weekends.
- Kuwait, U.A.E, Qatar and Bahrain are very reachable by car from Dammam.
If you ask me personally I would like to live in Khobar than living in Jeddah
Please let me know if you need further clarification

Regards,

Ahmed

Thanks 25january!

So you live in Khobar now, what do you do in your spare time? Are the things on offer better/worse than those in Jeddah? I realise that things to do will be few in most places, but I'd like to know the differences

Do you often travel to the other Gulf states on your days off?

hashimulhassan wrote:

Thanks 25january!

So you live in Khobar now, what do you do in your spare time? Are the things on offer better/worse than those in Jeddah? I realise that things to do will be few in most places, but I'd like to know the differences

Do you often travel to the other Gulf states on your days off?

Yes Hashim I am living in Khobar and I really enjoy this beautiful city, for me I spend my spare time in sports going to Jubail, Bahrain .. sleeping :D

Are the things on offer better/worse than those in Jeddah? I realise that things to do will be few in most places, but I'd like to know the differences " I did not catch what you need to know :)

I experienced travelling to Bahrain by my car and I will go in September to Dubai and it is very easy, you will find it good way to refresh your life ,, Trust me

Regards,

Ahmed