Moving possessions from uk to Malta. any suggestion?

Hi there, we moved to Malta about a month ago and our possession in the uknwaiting to be moved. It's about 6 boxes, possibly a dishwasher if convenient. Has anyone experience in this and can suggest any cheap/reliable company? Thanks a lot for any answer.

Try 'Intercargo.com'  we used them last year and you can get an instant quote on their website with no direct contact or obligation.
I just did a quote for 6 boxes  size 60 x 40 x 40cms with a total weight of 90 kilos, collection in London and delivery in Valletta (door to door) and it came out at £182.00 + vat using TNT
One tip, put the description of goods as 'general cargo' not 'personal effects', it's usually cheaper.

We have a container leaving UK on 26th August and if you are close to where we live(Chester) we could fit your stuff on. We are moving to Marsascala. PM me for more details.

Who have you used for your removals Lesley? - I had a quote today which was astronomical - about £7k to move the contents of our house in Chester to Mellieha.

Thanks,

Caz

Hi Caz,

Its a Maltese company which were recommended to me by by niece who knows quite a few shipping companies in Malta.
We have a 20ft container for  belongings. My quotes started out around 7k with removeal companies before I realised the cheapest way was to get a container. Ill private message you my phone number and if you want to have a chat I can give you some advice that way.

Lesley

Great Lesley - any info on moving everything over at a much better price would be brilliant. What's the name of the local removal company you have used, so I can take a look at their website? :)

Caz

Thank you very much but I am afraid that Chester is too far from Thame (Oxfordshire) and I am already in Malta and can't ask the people I asked to take care of my boxes to take them to you. Too much to ask. I appreciate you trying to help though.

No problem!

Hi Lesley and Caz,

I realise you posted this thread about the cost for shipping a container from the UK to Malt several years ago... If you still have the name of the shipping company, I would be really grateful to hear it.  I need to find companies /get quotes for shipping from Chester /NW area to Malta as I will be moving there in a few weeks and would like to bring household full of furniture and belongings.  I think you can post the name here (others have) or otherwise how do I reach you? - Cynthia

Hi Cynthia,

Yes I can help you with the name of a really good movingly company - they were brilliant and came to our home in Chester, did all the packing, filled in all the inventory paperwork and loaded into the container, over the course of 2 days. They are Fox International. Once the container arrived in Malta it was unloaded by a firm called Cube Removals, whom Fox Int'l had partnered with to complete our move. As it was a few years ago, i'm not sure who they are partnered with now, you'd have to ask. We moved back to the U.K. last year - that move was utterly horrendous, when done through a Maltese company! However, I wish you luck - hope all works out well for you 😀

Regards,

Caz

Thanks Caz!! Do you recall roughly what you paid back then?  I realise it was a few years ago ....and what size container you had?  (They seem to be either 20 or 40 ft?)

Just had a look back at my emails and in 2014  it cost £3720 for a door to door service, using a 20ft container. Hope that helps 😁
Caz

CynthiaJ wrote:

Hi Lesley and Caz,

I realise you posted this thread about the cost for shipping a container from the UK to Malt several years ago... If you still have the name of the shipping company, I would be really grateful to hear it.  I need to find companies /get quotes for shipping from Chester /NW area to Malta as I will be moving there in a few weeks and would like to bring household full of furniture and belongings.  I think you can post the name here (others have) or otherwise how do I reach you? - Cynthia

Hi Cynthia,

We moved from South Manchester/Cheshire area last year and used a company to ship our car to Malta. We were really happy with their service, but you may need to get the items to the Manchester area (or at least we had to take the car to their warehouse). Happy to dig out the details of my contact there if this would help?

Hi,
I hope your move went well.

I'm currently living in Chester and planning on moving to Malta and saw your post mentioning a removal company, I'm looking to move the contence of a two bedroom house, although won't be everything, just beds, sofa dinning table and chairs and tv and clothes no wardrobes or anything. Could you recommend anyone?

Many thanks
Stuart

Are you going to be renting a property?

Yes we are looking at renting as I'm going to be renting my UK home out for a while first
Many thanks
Stuart

We used Gatt shipping, a Maltese firm. They were very helpful and did not make the sort of song and dance all the other firms I contacted did.

Stbart81 wrote:

Yes we are looking at renting as I'm going to be renting my UK home out for a while first
Many thanks
Stuart

Majority of rental properties are fully furnished so you may not need to bring too much with you, we
found a property over here and in returning to the UK sold our furniture on EBay and made a profit on some.  It's worth considering, we just brought personal items, tv and bedding over.

Agree with this, you're unlikely to find use for furniture while renting.  And there are very few long term storage options in Malta other than renting a garage and then you're stuff dies anyway from the humidity

Thanks for the info 😁

I moved 9 years ago. I used the same company and brought over two separate 20ft containers 4 months apart. Both where packed and unpacked by myself. In the Uk the container turned up and we had three/four hours to pack it (which was enough providing you had everything already in boxes) The transit time was around 10 days. An extra two days in customs on the island then we had a full day to empty it. By the time the guy came with a lifter we only had a couple of hours left but managed to move a three bed house in to a three bed apt on the 2nd floor. The cost of each ontainer door to door was around 1700 sterling. We brought our dog over too, but he and my little family went via AirMalta.
Bringing you car over has its own pro's and con's. Depending on make, model and year - thats another story...