Car buying in Libya

I am trying to find out how to buy a car here in Libya, but have had no success thus far.  I just want a small vehicle to run the children to school and back, doesn't matter if it has dents or not, nor be really reliable, just mostly work.  Now, here is the problem:
- I know there are car shops, where I can go and buy a new car
- I don't want to spend much money on said car; my driving is such that my cars are prone to receiving dents; many drivers locally seem to have the same problem
- I am only here for one year

I feel like I am asking for the moon.  I have maximum 4000 LYD to spend.  :rolleyes:  I KNOW this is not much for a car out here, but I have to look at it as money down the drain - I  don't expect anything back when I leave the country.  Any ideas???

I'm not posting this in the classifieds as I am looking for advice rather than actual cars, but if anyone is selling....

Hi Wildcats,

Hope this helps - carlibya.com/home/

There is 11th June street full of cars but as I recall, it was difficult to find anything there for less than 10k. The best way would be to tell your Libyan friends that you're looking for a car.

Beware of one thing. There's a new tax when registering the car. After they stopped people from using cars on Libyan plates, registration on blue plates went up from 200 LD to 500LD. It means that registration will cost you 750-850 LD (500+agency fee and insurance), depending on time and patience you have. So you have only 3250 to spend on the car.

Thanks for the info guys.  I shall keep looking and maybe something will turn up...

For a year?

I wouldn't bother yourself with the hassle of buying, registering and then having to sell the car again.

There are plenty of car/drivers available for between 600 to 1,000 lyd per month.

try Kia.ly or another
there are alot of Garages over here for selling
good cars, u can find easily!

You can buy good used cars in Lybia at the following,

naoom.com and opensooq.ly