Home appliances and Furniture Tips

Hi,
we are a Swiss family relocating from Abidjan to Accra, I would be interested to get your tips and experiences for buying furnitures and home appliances ( price level, buying at shop or road side etc...) all your input is appreciate.

In addition, any tips for buying a car is welcomed.
Thank you

Hello Swiss Family,
ItŽs quite difficult to give you a price concerning your requirements.  All depends on what you want.  There are nice furniture shops but the prices are horrendously high.  The local furniture are very good and beautiful but you need to beware of the wood.  Most look beautiful but very bad wood.  This would not last.  You need a good carpenter to help identify the ones with good wood.
Concerning buying a car.  This is very possible as Ghana is swamped with loads of cars to sell.  Again you need someone who knows about cars to identify a good one. 
Lastly Ghana is a country of bargains.  The price thatŽll be quoted to you as foreigners will be doubled or tripled.  I detest ripoffs! You need to bargain or be ripped off.   
Anyway, if you need help in any of the above i am willing to help with no strings attached. And, most important i am for free. I am also an expat, but i know the tips and tricks.  You can contact me whenever.
Nance

Ghana is  expensive let  clear that up.
You pay double price for car that you can buy in UK for £2000 price.

you  can buy  bed frame  from GHC 150-500 etc

Hi nanc..seems like you know ghana very welll. I am intrested in buying cane furniture..got a qoute today for 3seater and 2x one seater and table for 1000gh do you think I can negotiate / barter with them? Or is that the normal price..

Can you only negotiate with stallers at market or can you negotiate with shops as we'll?

Marna

You might be able to negotiate it down a bit but it seems a fair price. You could send a Ghanaian there to see what the local price is. You can't bargain in shops.

Thank you

Hello Marna,

Just like Hcann said, you cannot bargain in the "shops".  Now, I put "shops" in quotes because there are still some shops that you can bargain. For sure you cannot bargain when it comes to the shops in the Accra Mall. Again, like hcann recommended send a Ghanaian there to check on it and ask them to bargain for you.  There is definitely room to bargain.  Good luck

Tx again!, I find ghana expensive..

It is expensive. I am sure after you have been here a while you will find the cost of things and then know where you can buy things cheaper.

I must admit dis Expat.com has helped ALOT!! I am so thankful I found this blog! many many thanks