Looking for some advice

My name is Lynne-Marie and I am a Canadian teacher very possibly moving to Abuja next month to teach at The Centagon International School.  I am just waiting to have a phone call to see if it will be happening.  I have travelled quite a lot in my twenties and then went back to school to become a teacher to give me the opportunity to work and travel.  This is a dream position for me teaching my specialty subjects with the added bonus of working in orphanages close by the the school is already involved in.

I am looking for some advice on the state of things there now and to see if I am making a bad decision.  I am not coming in with my eyes closed, and believe me I have had my reservations ( and in taking so long to decide to take the position, I may have very well lost it.)  If anyone can tell me anything at all, I would greatly appreciate it.

My family isn't too happy about my decision, but are supporting me.  I should state that I am a female travelling alone- but I have done that many times and have very good judgement and gut instincts that so far have always kept me safe.  :-)

Hello Lynne-Marie,

I am Nathaniel from Lagos Nigeria. I am a Nigerian. I will advice you to follow you mind. Though Abuja has been having some pockets of terrorism but Abuja still  peaceful and it is the seat of the Federal Government (Federal Government Territory). Nigerians are loving and caring people. What North-Eastern part of Nigeria is passing through is temporary. If the job will take you to Bornu, Yobe, Kano, Kaduna or Adamawa state I will strongly advice not to accept the offer yet. But if your intending employer can post to Lagos it will be better. Because Lagos is very peaceful and lively.

Hi lynne pls contact me through my emails [email protected] or [email protected] I came here alone last yr at 32 without support of family who still have there moments but are okay this is some where you really like or you go into depression no middle ground ask for a three mo th probation period before contract pls feel free to contact through skype lucy.prew2 or call 08144222351 it is a big and scary decision but could be one you dont regret I have another Canadian friend here same age as I 33 she slso teaches secondary and recently another 43 yr old who hasnt been here lo v but settling wel

Dear Marie,
If you seek good advice about new employment and travelling to Nigeria, you need to provide more information
about the school, Location, and Orphanage that is close to the school.
There are too many fake schools and fake orphanages around here.
Presently, the schools are on holidays and won't be re-opening till mid September 2014.
Don't be a victim of some pranksters. You can also confirm the existence of such school
and your safety though the Canadian High Commission in Nigeria.
All the best.
-AALS

Well if you plan to come to Abuja, and you have not heard back from the person you have been offered a job from
dont worry - its nigeria  -things just move at a slow pace --and trust me now -if you think the resonse time is slow just trying to get to nigeria - then in time you also will understand the phrase - its Nigeria - that term is used by ex pats and nigerians alike to describe the slow pace of just about everything

I live in Abuja and travel out to Lagos frequently - but i am from Minnesota, USA

Hello all,
This post seems an old one but I would like to add to it. Maybe Marie is here in Abuja, we don't know but if she's is still pondering to come then I will advice her to do so quickly.
Abuja is safe, Centagon International School is a big school with good welfare package for the staffs, just a stone throw from my office in Mississippi, Maitama, Centagon Int'l Sch. looks a great environbment.
Hope you do get back to us when you get things sorted out @Lynne-Marie

Hi
I m a teacher myself but retired and never wanted to work in Nigeria where my husband works ... You don t explain if your contract will be as an expatriate or a local one ....
We can talk on viber if you can load it or what s up it s easier
Nigeria is a very expensive country to livr and a decent condo is around 70000 N a year will it be paid by your employee???? Any food is like two or three times like in Canada ...
I m french so sorry for mistakes in english , till soon Michelle