Fairview Scholarship, Have to Provide an Answer within 2 Days! HELP!

Have you spoken to the Egyptian student yourself?

No school would pressure you into a snap decision.

There is no rush - the deadline for applications is 28th July

http://www.fairview.edu.my/v3/index.php … cholarship

Gravitas wrote:

Why do you keep changing your story?

I'm sorry, I don't get that one?

Interesting.

First ibdp world average is 30. An average of 37 is high but I then would ask why isn't this all over their website? Fairview has very high staff turnover and the "ib coordinator" you talked to is not an educational expert but son of the owner and trained as a medical doctor so I recall. I met several if their staff running away after a year.

A high ibdp score is easy to manipulate by:

- taking on only the best students who should score 40 plus even if your teaching is bad
- not entering weaker students
- or not including weaker students in average - IB strongly discourage comparisons
- not doing ib properly and cram for exams (harder with ib but still works)

I met an ex ib coordinator from there that said all extended essays had go be A or Bs. Considering only 1 in 20 get an A the only way is to over help students. This is something western educators call professional misconduct hence use of Indian, Fillipino and local teachers who are more flexible and cheaper. i heard they were making massive loses in ibdp as not enough students. With new entrants like igb and no real demand for ibdp the only way to get students is to offers free places.

This thread though sounds like an advert for Fairview. Funny when parents ask Fairview about results they are ignored.....

(moderated : posted in the wrong section)

Dear Nemodot,

I am that son of the owner Dpc director Dr Vincent Chian. The Dpc of Fairview is called Dona Jones, a nice business teacher. I hope to help you with your queries in a civilised fashion. Sadly so many posts are emotionally charged to the point they lack objectivity.

1) the scores aren't on the website because we just finished analysing and writing it. Me and the Dpc were out of the country the majority of the time and on our return we've been trying to write it as well as take care of our new Dp students. As you can tell, we prioritise our students more than adverts.

2) Our turnover last year was 0% in the IBDP department. Yes I said 0%. In most international schools one can expect a turnover of about 15% due to the severe shortage of good teachers these days so that should be a good benchmark for you.

3) My educational expertise is a very interesting one to discount/comment about. Most employers these days understand that paper qualifications mean little, that interest, professional activity/development and passion mean much more towards performance. I have been in the field for 6 years now; I've seen many expatriate and local teachers with masters claim to know a lot about pedagogy but are only able to propagate the problematic system that is education today. Before making assumptions about people and their abilities based on cursory examinations of their paper qualifications you could perhaps consider the full context of their expertise. The alternative is something I advice my TOK students to avoid, "jumping to conclusions".

4) I'm not sure who you met who was a coordinator from Fairview but I guarantee you our EEs are not all As or Bs. Not do we vet them in any way unprofessional.  Most aren't and they're quite tough this year it seems, with 2 of my best students not getting any points in the matrix at all.

5) your indication of massive losses is quite uninformed. We are not making large profits because we are not set up as a profit making section of the school. There is a scholarship fund set up (not a discount fund like most marketing departments) to provide the IB Diploma Programme to students who cannot afford it. Most schools charge in excess of rm80k per 2 years for the Ibdp and I believe this is truly abusing the consumer. This practice sends a signal that the only rich and wealthy can recieve good education. We set out from the beginning to provide this service to as many as we can using scholarships to help those that deserve it. We have helped so many in our time and I would appreciate you not disrespect our scholars with your ignorance.

If any would like to clarify or speak to a representative about the school please email [email protected]. Alternatively, if anyone would like to find out about the good work we are doing in the ibdp please email me at [email protected]

Regards

Dr Vincent Chian
MBChB Manchester(Hons)
TIEMBA

Fairview don't publish their IBDO results or igcse results (which students do take in some subjects). Parents can draw their own conclusions about that!

Reputable schools share results.

Nemodot wrote:

Fairview don't publish their IBDO results or igcse results (which students do take in some subjects). Parents can draw their own conclusions about that!

Reputable schools share results.

Dear Nemodot,

Many thanks for the swift response.

To my knowledge we place a half page ad every year with our IGCSE scores. If you missed it I suggest you call the Star to get a reprint. The DP programme has worked on a lean budget so we havent managed to place ads before (its about RM7k per ad). However, this year (end of this month actually) we will be placing a congratulatory Ad in the Star education because the budget allows.

On that note, of "reputable schools share results", I would honestly ask how many publish their IBDP results? I've scanned the newspapers as best as I can and I haven't spotted any. Maybe I've missed it but I don't see any Ads indicating the results for other IBDP colleges in Malaysia. Are they all not reputable?

I am happy to share my results, I'm putting them on my website in a week so you can have a look but here's a preview;

Fairview Statistics                                  2012             2013    2014
Average Score (out of 45)    Fairview    35                33    37
                                           World        29.8               29.9    29.9
Average Subject Scores (adjusted for subjects taken)   
                                                Fairview    5.56                5.25    5.89
                                             World    4.88               4.81    4.66
                                             % 39-45    30%                10%    30%
                                    Highest score    41                40    43

I hope this sets the story straight. The IBDP programme at Fairview International School is a strong programme, with students and teachers who are dedicated to education, not fancy tables, carpeted floors and swimming pools. We have a noble history of providing an unprecedented number of IBDP scholarships (about RM 1 million a year) to deserving students, a Scholarship Fund that has partnered with groups like the STAR education Fund in the past. To date, more than 30 students have already benefited from scholarships amounting to a little over RM 2 million and this number grows every year. Our philosophy of providing access to an excellent programme, the IBDP to everyone is a consistent one, helping local Malaysians and international students from Fairview. Alongside our philosophy of access is an undeniable trend of performance and a multiple stories of personal development, ensuring that students from varying academic backgrounds from the very strong to the weaker student gain more than just a solid academic performance but also gain incredible personal growth through our unique work in the area of Approaches to Learning Skills (ATLs).

Regards,

Dr Vincent Chian
DP Director
MBChB Manchester (Hons)
TIEMBA

I am just an ordinary Msian parent who happen to live in UK at the moment. I had a quick look at Nemodot's past comments, I notice most of them are very negative, it seems he doesn't like any of the schools in Malaysia at all.