Travel to Hue by bicycle

Hi all.
I am preparing travel to Hue by bicycle and i'm looking for someone who want to go with me. You know, Alone is so sad and i have no friend come with me. They sad: " you are crazy", i don't think so. The trip begin in 26/7, 5h30 AM at Ben Thanh Market. it cost about 10 days and we will know how vietnam people live, going to Phan Thiet, Nha Trang where have beautiful beaches, eat some grapes in Phan Rang, more and more traditional foods on the way.
All of you are welcome.
Thanks.

Have a nice trip! Remember to take a raincoat! :one

Thank you. I will buy it tomorrow.

Interesting idea, can you post a blog for your journey, like experiences, good place and bad 1 any troubles and good place to stay at night   :top:

Travelling north is the 'uphill' route, much harder to cycle than southwards.

AVOID HIGHWAY 1A - Open Tour Buses are killers - whether you are a passenger or another road user.

Buy decent flags, and appropriate poles/mounts, and attach them to the rear of your bicycle. And use lots of flashing lights on your rear end (back/bicycle).

Carry spare inner tubes - most roadside repair types only have motorcycle tires/tyres. ALSO buy three of metres of Inox (stainless steel) chain and a German lock. Things walk fast here. Lock your bike to anything - signposts, tree, manhole covers even on a post on a traffic island. (PM me and I will give you addresses where you can buy stainless steel chain. Remember any self-respecting handyman has an angle grinder in their tool box)

REMEMBER, when you find your time estimate is way off (and it is) BUSES will happily carry your machine as checked baggage.

At Da Nang you have the choice of a free ride THROUGH the tunnel OR damn great hills OVER the Hai Van Pass. Take the truck - there are so many thieves (robbers) on the Hai Van Pass.  But your reward is a flat road after Hai Van all the way into Hue.

I recommend the Nguyen Tri Phong Hotel on Nguyen Tri Phong Street, Hue - they will help you in securing your bikes.

I ride a Dahon Mountain bike with 17-gears and I can guarantee you cannot make a HCM >> Hue >> HCM trip in 10 days! Just the Hue >> Da Nang stretch took me a day.

Interesting adventure.

The distance from HCM to Hue is 593 miles taking the most direct route.

593 miles divided by 10 days = 59.3 miles per day worth of cycling.

Mr Jatich above says it can't be done.

Well I beg to differ.

I've cycled just under 2000 miles in the past 7 months so know what I'm talking about.

I have no doubt it can be done.

But you will be spend approximately 10 to 12 hours each day on your bicycle.

Therefore leaving you with little time to do or see anything.

Not to mention the fact that you'll be exhausted by the end of it.

I think 15 days is a bit more realistic, perhaps even 20.

This will enable you to take in the sites at a leisurely pace.

After all, what's the point in rushing ?

It's not a race is it ?

I forgot to include - Been there, done that. (Long distance cycling, a few years ago)

Highway 1A is a KILLER ROAD for motorcyclists, cyclists are just road bumps.

At least remb2030 and I agree on one thing "I think 15 days is a bit more realistic, perhaps even 20" i.e. the timeline you propose is unrealistic.

You should forget travelling at night, get some routing tips from the tourops who arrange cycling tours. These tourops also have a 'standby' bus following behind for all the long, slow hills. (I wonder of you know why).

I travel HCM >> BMT - 320 kilometres at least twice a month. I know the road, part of it is low night usage 6-lane highway. I can travel much, much faster than you can on a machine. Ignoring all the speed limits it still takes me 8-9 hours without a trailer.

But don't let me dissuade you. Try a trial run to DA LAT using the lesser roads and see how long it takes. At least you can cruise, downhill, into Nha Trang then put your bicycle in the luggage van (often they tie it to the outside of the last carriage).

DUONG SAT - VN RAIL - is a handy speed comparator. They travel at UPTO 70 KPH - the same as a road vehicle. You can divide their speed by your speed and use it to calculate your timeline.

BTW, what is you goal? To reach Hue or to see the countryside en route? If it's to reach Hue, follow the old Ho Chi Minh route - it passes right close to Hue and hugs the Cambodian border much of the way there.