Asia traveller

Hello everyone, glad to be here. I recently started to travel around asia and I'm working online. So would love to be able to rent a place to stay for a longer period from time to time

For staying somewhere longer, usually the bigger obstacle is the visa, not the ability to rent a place.
Are you aware that by working online on a tourist visa, you are violating labour laws in almost all countries?

Dear Bebbi,
It really depends how you structure this kind of activity. As I'm paying rent with my saving account and my company is legally registred in my home country I don't think it is that easy to define what kind of labour laws apply. What about all travel bloggers that make some profit online, how are they supposed to be legal?

drihs wrote:

Dear Bebbi,
It really depends how you structure this kind of activity. As I'm paying rent with my saving account and my company is legally registred in my home country I don't think it is that easy to define what kind of labour laws apply. What about all travel bloggers that make some profit online, how are they supposed to be legal?

My name is Beppi, not Bebbi.
To answer your question: Most countries' law forbids foreigners from doing informal work, unless they properly register as a freelancer or open a local business. If they don't do this (in ALL countries they stay in on the way), itinerant foreign for-profit bloggers and other online workers are illegal.
The laws have not yet woken up to the possibilities of the interconnected, always online world, where the physical location becomes more and more unimportant. But that does not mean it is o.k. to ignore or break them at will!
Some countries' authorities currently close one or both eyes, because such informal workers are few and cause no problems - but nobody can be assured that this remains the case (as occasional purges in e.g. Thailand have shown). In my opinion, it is not a good idea to depend on the authorities' mercy and benevolence ...

drihs wrote:

Dear Bebbi,

All labour laws apply in what ever country you are in irrespective of where your company is registered or if you are paying rent. If you are there and working, whether it be on line or whatever you are working illegally.