Obtaining a work permit

what is the protocol for an American seeking  leagal employment specifically in Curitiba Brazil? thank you

You will have to have either a VITEM-V Work Visa or a VIPER Permanent Visa in order to obtain your Carteira de Trabalho e Previdência Social - CTPS. Foreigners can only apply for the work permit at the Regional Superintendency of the Ministry of Labor (Superintendência Regional do Ministério de Trabalho e Empregos MTE) so you'll need to find out exactly where that office is in your city if you're in Brazil already. If still in the USA then if you find a job that qualifies you apply for the VITEM-V through the Consulado-Geral do Brasil nearest you see their website for more details.

Note that while you certainly can apply for your VITEM-V Work Visa here in Brazil should you find a qualifying job, they're willing to sign you to an employment contract and confirm that to the MTE in writing, you are required to return to the United States and collect the visa in person at the Consulado-Geral do Brasil that has jurisdiction over the US city were you live.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

I am still in the USA at this time but I have a few interviews lined up in Curitiba this coming August when I am coming to visit. William thank you very much for the info! Much appreciated. Don

Hi Don,

If it is a large well established company it's quite likely that they'll have an agent look after all the details of getting the VITEM-V and Carteira de Trabalho for you. The agent would provide you the necessary forms to fill out and get your photos. If not the process isn't all that difficult, just bureaucratic and time consuming.

Cheers,
wjw