US Consulate Visit to Can Tho

Hopefully this will be of some interest to the US citizens like myself that are living here down in the Delta. 

Consular Services Coming to Can Tho  August 20th

Officials from the U.S. Citizen Services unit in Ho Chi Minh City will offer consular services in Can Tho on August 20th.  A consular officer will be available on Wednesday, August 20, 2014, from 9:00 am to 11:00 am at the Victoria Can Tho Resort at Cái Khế, Ninh Kiều, Cần Thơ.

Consulate officials will offer notarial services, deliver federal benefits checks, and U.S. citizens will be able to apply for U.S. passports.

At this time, officials will not be interviewing for consular reports of birth abroad.  Also, visa and immigration services will not be provided.  Only the services listed above will be available during the visit to Can Tho.  For additional information concerning applying for U.S. passports and notary services please see the Website at: http://hochiminh.usconsulate.gov.

So what is your suggestion? Should I wait out? Eill it be ok to work for so long without a permit?

hi budman, did you go to that meeting..if so what did you think...are they trying to screw the u.s citizens on ss over there in vn and any foreign country

Remember, the State Department has issued a standing order that all of it's officials having contact with US citizens overseas are required to collect as much information as possible, including telephone numbers and addresses, for forwarding to the IRS.

All part of the fund-raising (tax) campaign started a few years ago. If the consul wants contact info, use an e-mail address - NOT cell phone.

Jaitch wrote:

Remember, the State Department has issued a standing order that all of it's (sic) officials having contact with US citizens overseas are required to collect as much information as possible, including telephone numbers and addresses, for forwarding to the IRS.

All part of the fund-raising (tax) campaign started a few years ago. If the consul wants contact info, use an e-mail address - NOT cell phone.

Given that over US$90,000 of foreign earned income can be excluded from taxation*, and the US government genuinely provides valuable services to US citizens living abroad, what is the motivation for hiding from the US government?

*: http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Internat … -Exclusion

DanFromSF wrote:

... and the US government genuinely provides valuable services to US citizens living abroad, what is the motivation for hiding from the US government?

It is appropriate that people realise the consequences of making contact with governments. Not all forum members are English instructors, quite a few earn well above the baseline.

I hold three passports and if any of them think I am donating to their coffers, in addition to VietNam's, they can go whistle.

Besides, not only IRS get the data.

Jaitch wrote:

It is appropriate that people realise the consequences of making contact with governments. Not all forum members are English instructors, quite a few earn well above the baseline.

I'll bet the 1-percenters (in particular) appreciate the value of having an in-country consulate/embassy and realize they don't run on special concoction of fairy farts and unicorn poo.  Further, playing hide-and-seek with the IRS is a loser's game.  Death and taxes, my friend.

I hold three passports and if any of them think I am donating to their coffers, in addition to VietNam's, they can go whistle.

Up to you.  As for myself, I can't think of any realistic situation that would lead me to denounce either of my citizenships.  Paying US taxes means I can avail myself of their services and anybody who thinks they're the special snowflake that shouldn't have to really ought to denounce their citizenship and quit glomming off the rest of us who do.

Besides, not only IRS get the data.

The ship has sailed on the NSA.  They know more than they need to -- about all of us -- and giving your cell number to a low-level US bureaucrat in Vietnam isn't going to change their position (or yours) one iota.

DanFromSF wrote:

shouldn't have to really ought to denounce their citizenship

I'm not denouncing any citizenship. 

quit glomming off the rest of us who do.

I use no US provided services whilst overseas. Other countries provide more - and they don't restrict where passports can be used. US citizens Anwar al-Awlaki, Samir Khan, Jude Kenan Mohammad, Abdulrahman al-Awlaki sure weren't protected by the US government. Handy for avoiding some US border hassles, though.

The ship has sailed on the NSA.

Who mentioned NSA? They lose track of mobiles as soon as you change the IMEI and SIM, simultaneously (both have unique serial numbers). That's ignoring the fact I, and others, don't use SIMs in our cell phones.

Jaitch wrote:

I'm not denouncing any citizenship.

Wasn't referring to you. 

I use no US provided services whilst overseas.

As above.

Who mentioned NSA?
They lose track of mobiles as soon as you change the IMEI and SIM, simultaneously. That's ignoring the fact I, and others, don't use SIMs in our cell phones.

Who mentioned SIMs?

To get the topic back on track. I was glad to see the folks from ACS come down here as well as more than a few of us showed up. We were able to do our monthly sign-in for SS without going to the Consulate this month, which was great. They also issued passports and I think took applications also and answered questions. I was able to get a few docs notarized that normally I would have had to make an appointment for and make a trip up to Saigon to get done. It appears they had a fairly good turn out. I asked if this was possibly going to be a monthly event and the response was maybe every three month. There was no sign-in sheet to gather personal information. Added plus was the US Warden for this area was also there for a short time, he knew some of the people there and was able to introduce himself to the others to let them know he was available to help in a emergency.

Budman. thanks again for being the clear-eyed level-headed voice of reason. "Just the facts, Ma'am. Just the facts" (to paraphrase the old 1950s TV police Detective, Joe Friday). Good to know information for all.

what is the name of the U.s warden in can tho???? what the hell does that mean exactly and what does he or she do..and are they american or vietnamese...do they get paid for what they do...what do they do....

Update information on their next visit to Can Tho:

Consular Services Coming to Can Tho – November 20th
October 21, 2014
Officials from the U.S. Citizen Services unit in Ho Chi Minh City will offer consular services in Can Tho on November 20th.  A consular officer will be available on Thursday, November 20, 2014, from 10:00 am to 12:00 am at the Victoria Can Tho Resort at Cái Khế, Ninh Kiều, Cần Thơ.

Consulate officials will offer notarial services, deliver federal benefits checks, and U.S. citizens will be able to apply for U.S. passports.

At this time, officials will not be interviewing for consular reports of birth abroad.  Also, visa and immigration services will not be provided.  Only the services listed above will be available during the visit to Can Tho.  For additional information concerning applying for U.S. passports and notary services please see our Website at: http://hochiminh.usconsulate.gov.