Any insight or suggestions please

Hi everyone!! My name is Cryss and I am only just starting my expat journey!!.  I currently live in LA California and I am need of a major change.  I have decided that moving to Costa Rica for a few months is that change. (Oct-Jan).  I honestly don't really know where to begin. 

I am african american and I am single and don't speak spanish.  I am in the research stage.  I need to figure out housing, safe areas etc.. Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated and is welcome!!

Hi I'm tommy!! From what I heard U will be arriving towards the end of the rainy season and all should be really green and lush. I'm probably will wait till after the 1st of Jan. Was there in Apr. Have fun!!!!

Hi Cryss,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Thank you for this introduction. I have created a new topic as from your post on the Costa Rica forum for a better visibiliy ;)

Cryss, hopefully you will enjoy your intended visit. If you decide that moving here will suit your needs, you may want to read the requirements of living here legally if you haven't already done so. Note, that you cannot work until you are a Permanent resident, have a potential employer secure you a work visa, although you can work online/telecommute. You can also own and manage a business.

No need to worry about a language barrier. Head straight to Limon. Yeh Mon !
BTW. Get used to everyone writing Cris or maybe Chris. Don't correct them. It's irrelevant and proof the schools are good here.  :cool:

Although I do not sense racism in Costa Rica, I have noticed that black Tico's live in areas away from Hispanic Ticos.  I am not sure why, it's just a traditional thing I guess.  I live just south of Jaco on the Pacific coast, and I've never seen a black Tico in this area during my four years here.  I asked about that strange situation and was told that black Tico's live on the Caribbean coast (Limon province).  As I said, there is no sense of racism here, it's just some sort of traditional thing I guess.

Edward1958 wrote:

Although I do not sense racism in Costa Rica, I have noticed that black Tico's live in areas away from Hispanic Ticos.  I am not sure why, it's just a traditional thing I guess.  I live just south of Jaco on the Pacific coast, and I've never seen a black Tico in this area during my four years here.  I asked about that strange situation and was told that black Tico's live on the Caribbean coast (Limon province).  As I said, there is no sense of racism here, it's just some sort of traditional thing I guess.

Costa Rica had government-sanctified racism against blacks for many years.
According to wikipedia about 8% of the population are black or mixed-black.
"Until 1949 Costa Rica had segregation laws similar to the South African Apartheid, where Blacks lived exclusively in the Caribbean Province of Puerto Limón."