Do I really need to show an original copy of my Diploma?

Hello all,
do I really need to show an original copy of my diploma to apply for a working permit?

I never took good care of it, thinking it was "just a piece of paper" and I now asked my University to send me one: they said I have to pay 100euro and anyway *first* I have to go to the police and denounce that I lost it, as you would do in case you lost a passport or other important ID documents. These days I hardly have the time to breathe, I can't take the time to do this, too!!

Gosh, lesson learned, I'll take better care of my papers from now on...
But for the moment, is it really mandatory?

In most countries if you want a degree to be recognized, not only must you produce the original, but it must also be authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign/External Affairs or State Department in the country in which it was issued before being submitted for recognition.

"Just a piece of paper", rather a casual attitude for anyone who devoted so much time, effort and money toward earning a diploma, don't you think?

Pay the money to get your new ORIGINAL, it's well worth it and consider it a lesson in life.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

Hello Nocturna!

As far as I know, you will just need a certified copy of your Diploma!

Thanx.

Hello and thank you for your answers. I will go further and get a certified copy then.
When I said "just a piece of paper" I didn't mean it had no intrinsic value, I just didn't think it was an official document that could not be "re-issued" freely from the University I attended.
Now I understand why many people hang it on their wall in a frame, it's just to make sure they don't lose it!  :lol:

Once you get hold of the original, have a local barrister or attorney certify several copies of same and your important docs.. they might come in handy mate..
Treeyam

For work permit, you can show copies.

For Occupation Permit, its either original or Certified copies.
Certified copies from Attorney's or Barrister's do not usually work. They require certification from the awarding body or official government authorities. Since Lawyers & Barristers operate private offices, their certification do not usually work with the Board of Investment.  Government authorities like Embassies, consulates or Court can do the trick.