Osteopath - good english speaking

Hello

Can anyone recommend a good English speaking Osteopath in Budapest?

Gary

Hello Gary  :cheers:

You could check out our Osteopaths in Budapest section and contact them and see if they can help you out.

Regards
Kenjee

To the best of my knowledge the Hungarian term is "Csontkovacs" (bonesmith), but I don't think I've heard that term since the early nineties. Homeopathy, Aura Photography, and Horoscopes are still going strong though. The latest thing was some kind of caveman-diet, but I'm quite out of the loop on these things.

Osteopath not chiropractor!

Suggest you do your research before making unhelpful observations.

Suggest you update wikipedia :-)

As long as it's alternative medicine it's usually the same guy under many names. It would be extremely un-Hungarian to turn away a paying customer asking for a specific kind of unlicensed treatment or reading.

If you are looking for someone with actual medical training related to bones or joints, you have to be more specific.
The first bet is either "reumatologus" or "ortoped szakorvos". During recovery a "gyogytornasz" can help, and there's a whole hospital dedicated to sports-related injuries, the "Sportkorhaz"..

And there's massage. It's called "masszazs", and it can be quite relaxing.

szocske wrote:

Suggest you update wikipedia :-)

As long as it's alternative medicine it's usually the same guy under many names. It would be extremely un-Hungarian to turn away a paying customer asking for a specific kind of unlicensed treatment or reading.

For what it is worth, In the US (where I am from) and Australia (where grh1976 is from) osteopaths and chiropractors are different professions (it even describes this at Wikipedia, and these two professions even have different trade organizations). For one thing, in the US osteopaths are Medical Doctors or have similar medical training. Chiropractors take a different degree course and are rarely MDs. While there is overlap in their approach, treatments also differ to some extent.

That being said, this is after all the Hungarian forum, and in Hungary I do have to admit you are correct: they do seem to be lumped into the same category with the same person doing similar treatments.

klsallee wrote:

in the US osteopaths are Medical Doctors

Hm. I know better, so not sure why I wrote that they were MDs. US osteopaths have a license to practice medicine as Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine, not "Medical Doctors". A technical difference that I should not leave uncorrected.

grh1976 wrote:

Hello

Can anyone recommend a good English speaking Osteopath in Budapest?

Gary

Apart from the exchanges between others here, did you get anywhere with this?

I too am looking for either an osteopath or a chiropractor 

(I know there's a distinction between the job types but I'm more interested in the results than the discussion rather than the semantics!).

If anyone hears about a good chiropractor here in Budapest, please post the results and share your experience.
I saw a man 10 years back here in Budapest long before FB and Ex pat blog.
It was nothing like any adjustments I ever experienced in the US, he was nice but didn't really do much for my poor kees or back.
I am curious if anyone has gone for an adjustment from anyone of the fliers that are sometimes handed out or posted on boards. Have not seen those lately but once in awhile you can come across them on the St.
I was thinking of exploring options with a Chinese herbal shop, perhaps they know of a good doctor from China or there about that used to work in that field in their home country.
Open to anyone that knows how to do a adjustment and is trustworthy.
The field of chiropractics is not very well known here from my experiences, might of changed in the past few years would be nice to know .
In the mean time self-adjustments, yoga and inversion seem to work for small issues. My husband was shown by a very good sports chiropractor in the states how to adjust my trick knee but as he is not trained I save that for extreme days of pain.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

If anyone hears about a good chiropractor here in Budapest, please post the results and share your experience.....
...a good doctor from China or there about that used to work in that field in their home country.

I was wondering about Thai massage.  This seems to be quite popular and I've seen a few places around. I am always suspicious this is some quack thing or not real massage.

Anyone have experience of Thai massage in HU as a substitute for chiropractors/oesteopaths?

I have always wanted a professional massage but my Hungarian husband is so against me going that I have never pushed the issue.
I did get a Shiatsu      massage years ago in Honolulu. My guy was a nice 300lb. plus Japanese man. I went to get my massage and the entire room turned to look at the only women, the only non Asian women in the room!
I was so freaked out that I was not able to relax enough to really enjoy the treatment.
My husband had a friend years ago who worked at the Szechenyi spa. He got a massage from his friend but felt weird about another dude rubbing him down. Old fashioned I know but whatever...
Funny thing is he used to go to the Rudas way back with his single male uncle when he was 9 or 10 years old. Way back in the 1950's. His uncle got massage 2 times a week and was a regular in the spa. Knew exactly what water to go into for whatever bothered you. Knew exact times and what to drink afterwards etc.
Thai massage sounds great but if they are anything like the "foot massage" parlors of Las Vegas, they usually come with a happy ending...
Not sure if women would really enjoy the experience, perhaps some do...
I think I would rather visit a "real" doctor of chiropractics.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Thai massage sounds great but if they are anything like the "foot massage" parlors of Las Vegas, they usually come with a happy ending...
Not sure if women would really enjoy the experience, perhaps some do...
I think I would rather visit a "real" doctor of chiropractics.

I tend to agree. I'd rather see a medically trained professional.  Different kind of happy ending - a repaired/working back!