Cooking Class

Hi All/Moderators,

Just a quick check.  I was thinking of starting a home based cooking class (small number only), for the weekends (Sat or Sun).  Mainly to occupy my time.

Do I need any special permits or anything like that?  I don't really intend to make much money out of this, but just enough to cover cost of ingredients and the necessary kitchen wares.

Appreciate the advice.

Cheers

Hi Bryan,

You may want to check with the Prefeitura de Rio de Janeiro, you might need a business license (Alvará de funcionamento), but probably can go ahead without one anyway if it's just a private/hobby class and you're not really making a business out of it.

I know that when I was teaching private English classes in São Paulo, the municipality say that private teachers are SUPPOSED TO register and have an Alvará, but nobody really ever does it.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

Thanks James.

If it's too much of a hassle then I will just forget about it.

Thought of doing this after a few of my local friends (whom I cooked for before), suggested that I do this as it's quite difficult to find South East Asian food in Brazil and particularly Rio.  It would be a great opportunity to meet new people, and exchange views as well.

O well... was a good idea from my friends. :)

Why don't you just classify it as a social get-together and let everybody split the costs evenly. That way you won't need any special licenses. Sounds like lots of fun, too bad I'm so far away or I'd show up myself, I'm an avid would-be Chef.

You might want to check out some of my recipes here if you haven't already done so.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=230521https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=212709

Cheers,
James

That might be a good idea James.

Cooking is my fav hobby.  It would have been my 2nd choice of career, if did not make it as an engineer.

Even now this is my retirement dream.

I will try some of your recipes for sure.

Cheers

Hey. I am curious about what would be on the menu . What are the usual Indian dishes that Brazilian like ?

Don't know about popular Indian dishes here in Rio.  But I tried making an alternate variation of tandoori chicken (less masala), which my friends enjoyed.

I am not very good with Indian food.  I am more proficient with Japanese, Chinese, Malay, Peranakan, Thai and Vietnamese food.

Ahhhh....that sounds lovely !! Wish you were in florianopolis then I could have joined your class. Best of luck !

Now that you mentioned it, I think I will try to make prawn tika (if my personnel stock of dry spices is enough).

The ones I tried in Kuching was lovely. (yum!  :top: )

Prawn tikka....! Nice! . Btw if you are interested I can give you some authentic Indian reciepies ....its what i cook day in day out....sigh ! I could really do with some nice Chinese take away. Ok gotta go ,clean drool from face .;)

Be glad to have them!  I'm a huge glutton (duh!!), and a real food whore.

:cheers:

Aren't we all? And ain't it the best. Let me know what you are interested in in desi Indian food.
I have never tried Vietnamese food ? Is it more like Chinese ( burst of flavour with sweet or soy sauces )  or Japanese ( more blander with subtle flavour ) ?

Vietnamese food tends to use a lot of aromatic herbs (star anise, cloves, garlic, etc.), so it's more like Thai food but without so much spicy bite.

The most famous of Vietnamese dish is call Pho Bo.  This is a beef noodle soup, whereby the soup base usually takes about 3~4 hours (minimum) to cook.

I always wanted to try Tawa Chicken (the street food type, not restaurant type).  I tried some recipes from the internet, but does not seem to have the flavors which my Pakistani friends told me about.  I guess I must be doing something wrong somewhere.  Go figure??

Tawa chicken ...hmmm....i am not sure which dish is this as i havent tried it. Tawa is the name of the flat pan where we make roti / chappati, so I am assuming you are talking about Katakat. Which is made in a big tawa and its in small small pieces. When making it two flat spade like utensils are used and they go and use a rhythematic " kata kat kata kat " sound. Like a musical beat. Thus the name.

Hi i'm seeing your posts here... where do you find GARAM MASALA spice to buy in Brazil? I'm in Rio de Janeiro. Thanks

Saudades wrote:

Hi i'm seeing your posts here... where do you find GARAM MASALA spice to buy in Brazil? I'm in Rio de Janeiro. Thanks

Hi,

You can try the following places in Rio to get Garam Masala:

1. MERCEARIA MEI JO
    R. Marquês de Abrantes, 222 - Flamengo
    Rio de Janeiro - RJ
    22230-061, Brazil

2. 209 Rua Marquês de Abrantes
    (Down the street, opposite side of Mercearia Mei Jo)

Hope this helps.

Thanks!!