New Mexico expat guide

Hello everyone.

Fiesta, mañana, folk music, traditional food... There is so much to discover in the land of Sombreros if you wish to settle there. In fact, Mexico welcomes every year large numbers of tourists and expatriates for the numerous opportunities it offers in different fields. Moving to Mexico also means mingling with a new culture and lifestyles.

Hence, we have just updated the Mexico expat guide with new articles in order to help you prepare yourself for a successful expatriation experience. We are here bringing you latest information regarding travel formalities, visas, work and accommodation, as well as health care, taxation and banks, etc.

You can read these articles by clicking on the following links:

Generalities
Discover Mexico

Formalities
Traveling to Mexico
Retirement in Mexico

Visas
Work visas in Mexico

Work
Work in Mexico
Work in Cancun
Work in Jalisco
Work in Mexico City
Work in San Miguel de Allende
Setting up a business in Mexico

Accommodation
Accommodation in Jalisco
Accommodation in Mexico City
Accommodation in Mexico
Accommodation in San Miguel de Allende
Accommodation in Cancun

Health care
Health care in Mexico

Bank
Open a bank account in Mexico

Tax
Tax system in Mexico

Transports
Transports in Mexico

Driver's license
Driving in Mexico

Removal
Moving to Mexico

Communications
Phones and Internet in Mexico

Miscellaneous
Mexican lifestyle
Traveling to Mexico with your pet

If you wish to wish to share your experience with other members, feel free to write an article in the Mexico guide. You can as well send us your comments and suggestions.

You can also contact us to participate in the Interviews Section.

Enjoy the reading!

I cannot believe that you do not have a separate section for safety, given the current situation in Mexico

Retirement Mexico information is pretty outdated.  Didn't look at other sections

Give me a break.  Why not write a safety guide of the US?  or England?
Once  a destination is under consideration, then check out the safety of that region,  The "golden triangle" and Micoacan  are well know places to avoid.........so is south Chicago, Comptom/.Watts et ak, There is no 'one size fits all' in any country.  Tijuana has a bad reputation but I have lived in Playas (the beach part of Tijuana since 2006.............no worries. I am 84 and I choose to live in a heighborhood of locals.
Common sense is required whereever one lives in any country.

I have been to Michoacan more than any other area of Mexico.  Even a 10 day tour of natural attractions.  Security is so subjective and specific that general advice can do more harm than good.

I recently saw a graphic claiming some Gulf of Mexico and Carribean tourist destinations are more dangerous than Mexico.  And it's probably correct as far as it goes.

I actually agree with much of what you said.  But there are unseasoned future travelers viewing this website.  The problem hot spots are prone to change over the years.  I used to travel in Michoacan but I would not do so now.  I am not saying that Mexico is more nor less safe overall than other common tourist destinations.  But having common-sense travel information on the website is of value for those who are unfamiliar with travel within the country.

I can't disagree with having common sense information out there.

I just don't know where common sense ends and over cautious begins.

I was thinking that a responsible exploration of safety for Mexico on a website (especially one with input from actual expats) would counter the hysterical news stories that the media does just to get attention so they can sell advertising.
A travel safety area where potential travelers could go and ask questions of expats about a certain area or situation would be of great value.  Of course, the devil is in the details.  It would need to be moderated properly.

For all of my travels in Mexico over the years (I actually live in Houston) I have never ventured to the west coast except in Chiapas.  What drew you to that particular area?

Hello everyone,

This topic is only about the different sections of the Mexico Expat Guide, found on the Upper Green Banner : https://www.expat.com/en/guide/north-america/mexico/

You will find threads about safety on the forum itself where you will have expats experience and you can exchange on the theme there ( Safety threads have been launched on all destinations of the forum )

Here is the dedicated thread to Mexico : Safety in Mexico where i suggest you participate if you want to contribute on that topic.

Best of luck,
Bhavna