Deciphering visas

Assalam alaykum everyone,
I appreciate everyone's help and input on this matter.
Visas:
I am going to Libya for work.
I have been told part of my employment package will include a visa.
The contract is for one year.

It is important to me that I can return home, if needed, before the contract is up.
I have been told many things but I'm unsure of the truth.
I was told I need a seperate visa to leave.
I was told an exit visa (to leave) can only be received from my employer.
I was also told to ask for a multiple entry/exit visa from my employer.
My employer said there are no multiple entry/exit visas.
They said you enter on a visa they provide and then they immediately apply for residency.
They told me I can leave and come back as much as I want once I have residency.
They told me residency takes anywhere from 2 weeks to 1-2 months to get.
I was told from someone else I cannot get residency.
And others told me that even with residency I still need an exit visa.

Please clarify all these points for me and share your own experiences.

My questions are:
If I get residency, do I need a separate visa to exit?
Can I get this exit visa on my own if i have residency, or does my employer have to get it for me?
How much does it cost, if anything, for residency and also for an exit visa?
Does a person's employer usually pay for this or will I need to pay for it?
How long did it take for you to get residency?
Can you leave and come back as much as you want with just residency?
Is there such a thing as multiple entry/exit visas in Libya?

Please also tell me the names of these visas/residency in Arabic too, if you know it.

Does anyone know if the American Embassy in Libya is open?
I have tried to email them but no answer.

Thank you all.

Most of the time employers take care of visas and residency (iqama) but it is possible to get them yourself. However and this is a huge however you need to speak arabic and know exactly where to go as most of the timw it's on the black market. Which is also the reason why prices vary. If you get it yourself youll have to pay feom your pocket.
Finally as far as I know you cannot exit the country without an exit visa... even if you have residency you still need to the exit visa. Beside you should get two visas when you leave:  exit and re entry otherwise once you've out of libya you'll have to go through the whole visas application process again.

One last thought are you sure it's the best time to come ro tripoli?

Hi Jameela, I'm not sure but if Allah opens the doors I will come, InshaAllah.
If He closes the door, I am grateful for his guidance and wisdom.
May you be under the sweet protection of Allah.

You need to have a an exit and re-entry( Khoroj Wa Awda) visa stamped in your passport when you have your resident visa in order to travel free out/to Libya and make sure to have it the same time you are applying your resident visa to avoid delays.

It is better to let your sponsor/ employer apply your exit visa as there are some fees (about 34 LYD per month total 408 LYD) need to pay when you apply for it. Usually the exit and re-entry( Khoroj Wa Awda) visa valid for 3 months.

Some local agencies providing this service and it costs between 1000 to 1500 LYD for a resident visa and one exit and re-entry( Khoroj Wa Awda) visa. and it takes 10 to 20 working days depends on the agency.

Normally the employer is responsible to provide residency.

There is a multiple entry visa for 3 or 6 months so you can enter and exit Libya when you desire. But this is not a resident visa. It is a business or mission visa.

Thank you tidwa.
Please allow me to ask more questions just to clarify and make sure I understand.

The khoroj wa awda, allows me to leave and come back as much as I want for up to 3 months?

When does a person usually get this from their employer/sponsor?

Should I assume that when my employer says that my package includes visa and airfare to Libya, that they will pay for the residency and khoroj wa awda?
Or do I need to ask if these are paid for by them?

The job seemed to indicate that once I get my residency I could come and go as I wish.
So is there a multiple entry/exit visa that is for one year?

Thanks for your help and patience. I apologize for all the questions. I just can't seem to get a clear answer and all this is new for me.

Hello Dua Dua,

You need to get confirmation from your employer regarding which type of visas that they will provide !!

There are several types of visas to enter Libya

1 is a business visa (single entry for 1 month /or multiple entry for 3 or 6 months) According to Libyan law you are not allowed to work in Libya using those visas.
There is No Business visa valid for more than 6 moths.
You Can not extend this visa while you are in Libya ( Sometimes the immigration department allows visitors to convert this visa to a resident visa for special situations)

2 work visa and usually granted for 3 months, allows you to work in Libya, this visa can be renewed or extended when you are inside Libya. (depends on the contract period) Usually companies are applying for resident visas for their employees within the 3 months they should apply for both a resident visas and ( khoroj wa awda visa ) at the same time to avoid delays.

Yes, (khoroj wa awda visa), allows you to leave and come back as much as you want within the 3 months. It is up to you to decide when you would need it. But I advice you to make sure that you have this visa all the time during your residency, so you can travel whenever you decide.

Ask your employer to provide all details about your entry visa type and if the resident visa + khoroj wa awda visa included or not. They might be able to include 6 month or a year (khoroj wa awda visa) in special cases.

Good luck

Thank you, dear brother.
I think I am clear now.
:-)