Jakarta International School - 2 Teacher Detained

So obviously 2 teachers have been detained, police said to have enough evidence that the 2 men molested students....

But police do not disclose any further info about the evidence they claim to have in hands.

What are you guys thinking??

I am thinking that the whole thing is now boring and needs to stop being a sensationalised news. I am also now thinking that getting a visa for my teachers is nearly impossible as nothing is being issued since this came to light. I am also wishing that the police would actually charge the people responsible, get them dealt with through the courts and put away, with the families looked after and allowed to move on so there is something new to read in the papers.
Might seem a tad cyncial but this scandal has been rolling on for months now and still nothing concrete has actually happened.

I'm thinking it would be really hard to abuse a kid whilst in a busy, glass fronted office, in full view of passers by.
I also think there's way too much cash being talked about.
I think there is shit all evidence, just nasty text messages.
If there is no evidence produced in short order, all the accusers should be hammered ASAP.

People jump on bandwaggons.

The first case seems pretty clear cut, with the need to find out who got the bastards into the school.
This seems seriously dodgy.

I'm happy to stand corrected ......... if there is damning evidence presented.

"So obviously 2 teachers have been detained, police said to have enough evidence that the 2 men molested students....but police do not disclose any further info about the evidence they claim to have in hands."

The police have the right to detain a suspect if there is enough evidence to constitute probability of the charges being claimed.  The police also have the right to not disclose such evidence to the public. 

Luke, are you finding that it is currently very difficult, or close to Mission Impossible for teachers already having KITAS and work permits to have these renewed, or was your earlier comment about these problems more applicable to new applications?

Hi Roy, seems like mission impossible at the moment for both new and existing teachers. They had already started slowing down the process when this happened. Then with Ramadan and the elections its all stopped.
There is no news for when it will resolve itself but it will cause issues for many people living here and working as teachers. For others types of employment I have been told that visa runs and visas have been issued but then immigration are not in a hurry to issue kitas at the moment.
Hopefully when everything is sorted out and Idil Fitry has come and gone things will return to normal.

Luke, in Java it is normal that KITAS and work permit applications are put off during the Ramadan fasting month, or is this unique this year? 

In other words, what do you attribute the most to the current "on hold" situation for teaching KITAS and work permits...the JIS investigation, Ramadan and elections, or perhaps all in combination?

And lastly, (not to get personal) are you OK, and all "ducks in line" being a teacher of long standing?

Its not been easy for a few years but this is the worst I have known it. I think it is a result of all three at once and a definite shift in approach to issuing visas for teachers.
As for me I am sure I will be OK. My visa runs out in 2015 so its a way to go.

I got your PM too Luke and responded (as you know). 

Cheers, and all the best of luck to you and your family.