Moving from South Africa to Netherland with German passport

Hi All

I hope I am not going to complicate this too much, and I thought it may fit in better here than in the Netherland thread.

I was born in South Africa, by mom registered me as a German citizen and I know have a german passport. My Girlfriend is a South African.

We have been dating for just under 4 years and been living together for most of it and planning on getting married in the next 2 years. We would like to move to Netherlands in the next 3 to 4 years.

My question is, as I understand that your spouse does not get german citizenship anymore by marriage, what would be the easiest way of being able to move to Europe/Netherlands. Is there any way she could get german nationality, or would it be better to apply for a VISA and stay in Netherland for x amount of time before being able to apply for nationality on Netherland?

I saw your post by passing by and I can tell you that is not easy to get a Dutch citizenship.

I don't know the details but I can give you a push in the right direction to tell you that you can read the sticky topic New to Holland which include a link from the Dutch Immigration organization (IND).

Don't know what you want: a Dutch or a German nationality but it is good to visit those Embassies in SA or visit online their website.

Your spouse can get the German citizenship only after several (usually 7) years of staying in Germany and definitely not while living abroad.
But a spouse of an EU citizen is entitled to a visa for living with the partner anywhere in the EU.
Contact your nearest Netherlands embassy to find out the procedure.