Just moved up north end Corozal town -looking forward to know everyone

Hello Everyone,

We moved to Corozal in May and are loving it so far.  We are trying in out, so to speak, to see if we want to move here permanently.  We just moved from Santa Rita Heights into the north end of Corozal town last week, so we could be closer to things.  We is my lovely wife Subasini, my 2 yr. old daughter Lalita, and myself of course.  We are originally from Michigan, but moved to Texas two years ago to escape the Winter. We love to travel and camp, and completed a 4 month overland trip through Mexico, and much of the southern U.S. last year.  I look forward to getting to know everyone.

Phil Cole...    Welcome to Corozal.   there are many interesting people to meet and the Corozal district offers much beauty, an easy pace and pleasant friendly people.

I just have to ask what is costing 40% less than the USA?     I find my basics (utilities & gas for car) more expensive.

Glad to be here.  I am really enjoying my time in Corozal. 

My over all expenses are about 40% less than in Texas.  Food is about the same, fruits and veggies much cheaper but meat, and other items are more so it averages out.  My water here is about 1/3 of what I paid in Texas, LP gas about the same, and my electricity here is about 1/2.  I don't have A/C here or it might be more, I did have A/C in my apt. in Texas.  Internet is 3 times more here, cellphone is 1/3 the cost.  I don't own a car, and we didn't own one in the States, but I see gas is much more here.  Our rent is about 1/2 of what we paid in Texas for almost twice the size.  Overall our monthly costs are about 60% of what we paid in the States.

The only downgrade in our lifestyle from Texas to Belize is no A/C and no data plans on the cellphones.  Big upgrades, own larger home (rented) with a fenced yard, 3 blocks from the ocean, lots of parks and places to shop within easy walking distance.  Not to mention the upgrades in weather, the friendliness of the people, diversity of culture, and more relaxing pace of life.

The challenges here, like power outages, lake of selection in stores, petty theft, etc..  Well in Michigan we usually lost power do to snow or ice storms for days at a time each year, with temperatures in the 30's or below.  I grew up in a small town and it was 25 miles to the nearest Walmart, and 1-1/2 hour drive to the nearest mall.  I am much closer here if I want to go (I haven't yet).  In Texas we had items stolen from us multiple times, the only thing missing so far in Belize is my daughter's toy ball.

I have to say that our biggest savings is in rent.  we pay $325us per month, and a home like this in Texas would be $1200us per month.  We rented a small apartment for $675us per month and this home is a huge upgrade for us.

thank you Phil.  now I can understand how it may be less expensive for you in Belize.    Belize is inexpensive for the people who live without A/C.   Our rent is very inexpensive.  Our electricity is very high.   Our gas for the car, plus the wear on the car from the humidity and potholes is more here in Belize.   

We will look forward to meeting you in person in Corozal.

Hello philcole

Kindly note that a new thread has been created as from your post on the Belize Forum.

Regards
Kenjee

Church recommendations? I like to sing classical/Latin language church songs/hymns (mass). I prefer catholic or episcopal. Protestant is a second choice.

Hi Phil,
My wife & I are considering a move to the same area.  We are wondering what size is your rental & how did you find it? Can you send a photo of it (or a similar one) to get a better idea.  Do you know if there are any kite-boarders in the area?  Looking for warm breezes & good neighbors!
Thanks!