Daily Commute from Riffa to Seef

Hi All,

I have a job offer from a company having office in Seef distract in Bahrain. I will be moving to Bahrain in 2-3 weeks. While looking a different housing options , i found Riffa  relatively cheap, safe , close to major international schools etc. The only hitch is that it seems to be a bit far from my office (which is in Seef District). I was just wondering if somebody can tell me  about morning and evening commute time between Riffa and Seef  ? If anybody has any other observation about Riffa  in general or on this option of living in Riffa and commuting daily to Seef ,please do share.
Basically i  am looking for a safe,peaceful place to live which is close to major schools. As i am not sure in which school my daughter will go.

Hi haroon
Welcome to the Forum.

Riffa is indeed a peaceful place to live. And it has all the conveniences one needs for day to day living. Do be selective when you pick a place to live. The "cheaper" options may not be the best available. Only for a little more you could live in better and more desirable accommodation. You should also try to get a proper idea of schooling for your daughter before making a final decision about place to live, if it is important that you live close to your daughter's school.

Whilst Riffa is far, overall driving times in Bahrain are not too badly generally. The commute time between Riffa and Seef is about 20 minutes one way. Its not too bad. I live in Riffa and have to drive past the Seef district to Manama Centre area and my drive is about 25 minutes.

Best wishes.

Most of the international schools are full and have also closed for the summer holidays so you need to move fast regarding your daughter.

Reef Island is in Seef and a very peaceful area although overpriced. Other areas to consider are Hamala, Jasra and Saar

You commute to Seef won't be too bad but it does depend on what time you start work, the road can get very congested at times.

Also you don't need to live near your daughters school, I don't live near my son's and he catches the bus to and from school so it isn't an issue. All depends on the age of your daughter I suppose.

Try to ask your company to put you in to serviced accommodation for a month or so while you settle in and find a home and school. It will take the pressure off you and it is normal practice for employers to do this for their new staff.

Thanks Gents.

I am expected to arrive in 1st/2nd week of August and my family will join me probably a month later. My daughter is 4 and i will pick/drop her atleast for first few months. I  have to finalize accommodation first before getting any admission offer from any school. So i am looking to take an apartment in a middle location (between my office and the area where most of the schools are located) on some flexible terms.  I found most of the school is SAAR but that SAAR seems to be not very safe. May be you guys can explain better....

Hamala and Jasra. I could not find much information about these areas like safety, security, rents etc etc. Can you please shed some light on that  ..?

haroon1900 wrote:

Thanks Gents.

Gents!?!?! :o Boy are you in trouble!!!  :lol: 

The other respondent, Josnuggles, is a lady.  :P

haroon1900 wrote:

I am expected to arrive in 1st/2nd week of August and my family will join me probably a month later. My daughter is 4 and i will pick/drop her atleast for first few months. I  have to finalize accommodation first before getting any admission offer from any school. So i am looking to take an apartment in a middle location (between my office and the area where most of the schools are located) on some flexible terms.  I found most of the school is SAAR but that SAAR seems to be not very safe. May be you guys can explain better....

Hamala and Jasra. I could not find much information about these areas like safety, security, rents etc etc. Can you please shed some light on that  ..?

Fully understand your anxiety when it comes to safety and security. But you should know that most areas in Bahrain are quite safe to live in. You may have some inconvenience in some areas, when vandals burn tyres on the road and cause a public nuisance, but nothing to be alarmed of.

Saar, Hamala and Jasra are good areas to live. You should take a look at this website for some information on properties available in Bahrain: www.bahrainpropertyworld.com
It will give you a fair idea of what to expect and costs.

Give us a shout if you have more questions.

Whoooooo. Not a good start sunshine  :D

I live in Saar and it's great. Schools, expat clubs, restaurants, cinema, supermarkets, close to highway and everyone is really friendly. There is a small village in Saar where they light fires but it isn't dangerous. I am getting quite annoyed with everyone bad mouthing Saar when there is nothing wrong with it. Great family compounds and places for social gatherings. 10 mins to and from Seef. 15 mins to Adliya and Juffair now that the new tunnel has opened (non rush hour traffic obviously)

Hamala and Jasra are nice but there isn't much to do there. You have to drive across the busy highway junction with the Saudi Causeway and the traffic can be a nightmare. Taken me an hour or more to cross when the traffic is bad.

Just take your time and have a good look around before making any decisions and you will be fine.

Thanks a lot guys.
I used "Gents' unconsciously. didn't mean to offend somebody.My apologies.

I would recommend you to find a place closer to your workplace. Riffa is indeed a great place to live in( i can be biased at times) but since three years have got a bit crowded. If you are to move in and out during the peak morning and evening hours it will take you an hour or a bit less on average to get to work and another hour to get home. You can find good and fairly cheap places in manama as well and overly safe. Nothing to worry about. I would recommend adliya but if you would prefer a bit quiter i would recommend new saar as well.

As mentioned above for your kids the schools will arrange for you the private school bus. And if you will admit your daughter in the middle of their school year you might also need a leaving certificate from her former school to prove he is transferring to Bahrain.

LfcRed wrote:

I would recommend you to find a place closer to your workplace. Riffa is indeed a great place to live in( i can be biased at times) but since three years have got a bit crowded. If you are to move in and out during the peak morning and evening hours it will take you an hour or a bit less on average to get to work and another hour to get home.

1 hour? That is a long commute. Which part of Riffa do you live in?
I live in Riffa and my place of work is in Central Manama - and my total driving time to work, including dropping my wife at her place of work on the way is less than 30 minutes one way.

I live in east riffa and if you are to leave 7 in the morning you might have seen the awful traffic exiting riffa and reckless driving. I mostly leave at 7 to get to work and get there at 7:45 excluding any accidents or rain.

Ok. Thanks for the clarification. I did not realize traffic out of East Riffa is that bad at 7am. I live in Riffa Views and leave home at 7.30am. Luckily for me the traffic is low and other than a small slow traffic part the rest is on the highway.