Will soon get married, Looking for furnitures to buy - Help please

Hello everyone :)  My name is Luis Enrique Reyes. I visited the DR back in April of this year 2014. Stayed for one month. I got to meet the love of my life  :kiss:  I will be visiting again soon in 10 days. This time with my mom so she can meet her and her family in person.

I am planning to propose in this 2 week visit and get married in December. We already found a 2 bed room apartment in San Cristobal and are looking to get it furnished. Household furniture seems to be a bit expensive. I was wondering if buying new furniture is the only way to go in the DR? I do not see too many site where people sell used furniture like is done in the states with sites like craigslist.org

Any and all help in soon to be great change in my life will be appreciated  :)

Hello luisenriquereyes and welcome on board Expat.com :)

Please note that a new thread has been created as from your post on the Dominican Republic Forum so as to help you get better responses.

Regards

Kenjee

Wow met her on your first visit and now on visit two getting engaged and married later this year.  What are you thinking?

As to furniture your future bride should know of lots of places to get furniture. 

Bob K

Wow Luis. first  welcome to the forums. And now.......   I need to ask how you met her?   And seriously think about what you are doing honey!   You just met her, she lives in another country, you know so little about each other.  Marriage is so difficult when everything is in your favor.   IT is so very very hard when you have so many other  issues to deal with!

First of all you know nothing about the culture here.  Do you speak Spanish?  What do you really know about her and her family?  Will you move here? What will you do for a living?  Will she try to go there? Do you know how hard that is?

AND IF you think furniture is expensive then you might find everything here "expensive".   

Would you propose to and marry someone back home you just met????    really think about this.

Hello kenjee, Bob K and planner. Nice to meet you all :)

Bob K, what am I thinking?  I am in love  :heart:  believe it or not :)

Yes my future bride does know of lots of places to get furniture, but only new furniture. She says the culture is that everyone keeps their furniture forever. That the used furniture market is practically non-existent. Our plans is to live in DR for a year or two and would like to save by buying used if possible.

Hello planner. First off, thank you for all the great advice you give on this site. I only found out about this site last night and noticed the many wonderful and helpful tips you have provided to many others. Hopefully I will continue learning from you and from others to help me along on during this new chapter in my life.

To answer your questions, we first made initial contact over 2 years ago by a theocratic posting I made about a new publication that was soon to be released for my church. But that initial contact was just a hello. We didn't get serious with our relationship until December of last year.

From afar I know about the Carribean culture being that I was born in Brooklyn New York and my father is from Puerto Rico. I speak Spanish fluently and my Mexican friends say I have a Carribean accent when I speak Spanish but interesting to note when I was in the DR my friends there say that when I speak Spanish I have a Mexican accent. So go figure  :lol:

It has been just been over 7 months that we have started talking and for that one month in person I practically was living with her and her family. We all made a nice weekend trip to Pedernales and got to bond very well. Every on of us even got to be sick together with the Chikungunya virus from that trip. What a treat  :sosad:  But most importantly our religious beliefs, that for both of us since birth has been our stronghold with our creator Jehovah God unites us so very much. But thanks for your concern. Marriage is a huge step in anyone's life. It is a divine institution, authorized and established by God and should never be taken lightly. It forms a permanent bond of union between man and woman, so we can be mutually helpful to each other living together in love, confidence and enjoy great happiness when we both allow Gods Word to guide the marriage.

Yes I will move to the DR. It is easier for me to do so then for her to move to the US. It will lay a better foundation for our marriage. I work in technology and provide a few established business customers remote support of their computers and network. The month I was there I was easily able to continue to provide them support with an Internet connection.

Another question I have but I am not sure if another topic should be created for it or just left here is about residency. I have obtained all the paperwork to file for residency and have a detailed list of all the requirements and things I need to do but should I just wait to get married first?  From all I have read I can still do it without being married and it should not be that much different. One big positive would be that that process gets started sooner than having to wait until December. Thanks again all for your help. Very much appreciated.

Thank you for all the nice comments.  So,  you appear to be different then our usual story.  It may be your faith will paly a larger role.

Your future bride is right, very little gets sold second hand here, it is handed down or over to other family members. Sometimes you can get lucky though -  try  http://www.mercadolibre.com.do/     you may find some of what you need.

Go ahead and get your residency started on this next trip, it will speed up the process later when you will qualify for citizenship.  Also a lot of your documents will expire before your marriage so they will be wasted. 

Keep us posted and keep asking questions.

Thank you for your comments.  This actually may be different and I certainly hope so. I do wish you good luck.

Yes start the residency process now on this up coming visit.

Another place to look for furniture is check the local papers and bulletin boards (at many grocery stores or local hangouts) for an Expat who is leaving the country.  They will usually have lots of house hold items to sell before they leave.

Bob K

Thanks so much planner and Bob K. We are definitely trying our hardest to have a successful marriage.

The mercadolibre.com.do site has shown us a few options. We will be checking it regularly together with this other site that appears to have some choices:  http://goo.gl/v8tKCy

The tip about checking the local papers and bulletin boards (at many grocery stores or local hangouts) is a good one. The suggestion about an Expat leaving the country, would they post is this Shopping forum if they were?

planner wrote:

Thank you for all the nice comments.  So,  you appear to be different then our usual story.  It may be your faith will paly a larger role.

Your future bride is right, very little gets sold second hand here, it is handed down or over to other family members. Sometimes you can get lucky though -  try  http://www.mercadolibre.com.do/     you may find some of what you need.

Go ahead and get your residency started on this next trip, it will speed up the process later when you will qualify for citizenship.  Also a lot of your documents will expire before your marriage so they will be wasted. 

Keep us posted and keep asking questions.

Bob K wrote:

Thank you for your comments.  This actually may be different and I certainly hope so. I do wish you good luck.

Yes start the residency process now on this up coming visit.

Another place to look for furniture is check the local papers and bulletin boards (at many grocery stores or local hangouts) for an Expat who is leaving the country.  They will usually have lots of house hold items to sell before they leave.

Bob K

Expats leaving usually post in local papers and flyers as well as post of a local bulletin board usually found at groceries where they would shop.

Bob K

Hey Bob not much of that going on here in this area!

Not many gringos leaving or not many places to post ads?

How is your electric today???? :(

Bob K

Not many expats here per capita like the north coast and Ive not seen a bulletin board in many grocery stores.....LOL

Electricity was out almost 6 hours yesterday. So far so good today - but its early!!!!!  Edesur has been a nightmare.....

At least we pay high prices for our electric :D

Bob K

luisenriquereyes wrote:

I do not see too many site where people sell used furniture like is done in the states with sites like craigslist.org

Check out the classified section of the newspapers here and there are at least 5 sites like http://emarket.do/ or http://www.mundoanuncio.com/
I believe, there is even a DR section on craiglist....
I wish you luck.

m'frog

In my trip next week I would like to take a automotive tools. Sockets and wrenches. Do I need to have a receipt for them?

Depends on how much you are taking and do  not have them in original packaging.

However always good to have receipts especially if under the allotted amount you are allowed to bring in

Bob K

They have to be 5 years or newer correct?

Bob K wrote:

Depends on how much you are taking and do  not have them in original packaging.

However always good to have receipts especially if under the allotted amount you are allowed to bring in

Bob K

Are you talking about tools?  If so I am not aware of any age limit on tools.

Bob K

Yes mostly auto tools. I have had them for over 20 years. Not sure if I can find the receipts for them. Would there be a problem you think?

Bob K wrote:

Are you talking about tools?  If so I am not aware of any age limit on tools.

Bob K

It shouldnt be an issue if they are old.  Be careful on their weigjt with the airlines.

And : your tools will be borrowed. If they are loaned out you will never see them again!  That is cultural. So lock them up and dont loan them out.

Planner is right. Here many times ownership of tools belong to the last person to use them :)

Not only do not loan them out but keep them out of sight.

Bob K

Congradulations. I got married in Santiago D.R. It took me a few tries but found me a good woman. Just be careful, many men find love to fast. Buy new furniture is my advice.

Kingsimmons welcome to the forum.  Please introduce yourself and tell us a bit about you. 
There are lots of great folks here with lots of information.
We look forward to becoming a contributing member of our community.

Bob K

Yes please introduce yourself. Are you living here of in USA?

Hello Luis,

Congratulations to you for getting married soon!! ... I'm planning to leave the country in January, so I'm going to sell the used furniture that I have. It will be great if you could allow me to have your e-mail address so that we could talk about it.  :top: