Expat in PR is sort of impossible

I have lived in Puerto Rico for over 40 years, and call myself a "Gringorican".  But i am not really quite an expat because Puerto Rico is a possession of the US.  This means that all persons born in Puerto Rico are automatically US Citizens, and there is no restriction of travel from PR to the US.

However, any US citizen living in PR automatically becomes a second class citizen - which is not supposed to happen - because we can not vote for President or Vice President, and we do not have a full member in either House or Senate.  What we have is a non-voting member of Congress who can serve on committees.  We also get to participate in the nominating process, and get to vote for the candidate - but we can't vote in the actual election. 

(Moderated: no political opinion on the forum pls)

So everybody living in PR is sort of an expat, but not quite.  Just second class citizens until we move to a state.  Then our status is instantly upgraded to full citizen.

Not on your topic, but I was struck by the 40-year figure.  That means you came in 1974.  I may have been there at that time, as I came in 1969 from NYC.  I was 26 and got a job teaching at Sagrado Corazon in Santurce.  I'm sure you know it well.  My ability to speak, read and write Spanish improved considerably, having also lived, worked -- and struggled -- in Mexico.  By the way, I lived in the Condado and also Calle Pto Principe in the Rio Piedras area.

Anyway, fast forward and I'm looking to reduce expenses, which is why you'll see Nicaragua on the profile.  This turned out to be a no-brainer, as I would have to virtually sacrifice Medicare coverage for the benefit of cheaper living.  I've thought about returning to PR, as an alternative to the "too expensive" Hawaii (where I have also lived and worked -- when it wasn't quite so expensive).  But even in the 60s, the road to Carolina was jam packed, AMA gave unreasonably poor service, although I had no personal problem with crime, which, today, is, I understand, in full bloom.

So, just wondering how you managed all of these years, if you would like to share.

David

James38 wrote:

So everybody living in PR is sort of an expat, but not quite.  Just second class citizens until we move to a state.

Unless you are NOT a US citizen but from another country. :D

If you live part time long term in PR, can you still vote for the US President?  Just wondering.

Hi, Schuttzie. As James38 states, residents of PR cannot vote for President. However, if you never establish residency in PR and maintain your residency in whatever state you spend the rest of the year in, then you can vote through that state. Bottom line: Count the days to make sure you don't establish residency if voting in US elections is important to you.

I respectfully disagree with James38 that the Constitution should be amended to remove the Electoral College. Without the EC, a vote for President from the jurisdiction of PR would be equally worthless as candidates would only concentrate on a handful of the biggest states by population (and even then, really just the biggest TV markets in the most populated states). Candidates would only campaign in NYC, LA, Chicago, TX, CA, FL, etc., As it stands now with the EC, it's still possible for your vote to count in tightly contested states like NC, VA, NH, FL, CO, etc. With the exception of FL, if there were no EC, all of these states would be completely ignored by presidential candidates.

All that said, if PR became an independent country as James 38 advocates, then James would have the right to vote as a US citizen in a foreign country!  This is because US citizens resident in foreign countries can vote for President (but no other offices) through the state to which they have some connection (even if they've never actually lived there). Such is the case with Americans in Ireland, many of whom I have helped to register to vote for presidential elections.

How very interesting and informative, Nomadlawyer, thank you!  Actually, if we and when we become residents, it wouldn't matter to me if I couldn't vote.  I'm just not into politics (politricks, lol).

You are probably right about the electoral college, though.

Hola David,
Nice to see another Puertoriqueno on this site. I live in CA. moved from New Jersey where I was raised and now contemplating the next stage in my life, possible retirement in Mexico. Just wondering what you would recommend, or  what your experiences have been in Mexico. I hope to retire in Cuernava, south of Mexico City.  Thank you!

What you speak of is a sad but true fact. We are a colony serving the needs of the powers that preside. It's good in a way that you along with many others are experiencing the harsh, cold truth of our reality on the island. Welcome to our world! If you care to look up our history you will be surprised by our history. Please read it

Do you mean Cuernavaca ?

Yes