Living in Gozo - working in Malta

Hello

I am a newbie asking for your feedback, please.

I work in Malta (night shifts - 5 days on - 4 days off) and am playing with the thought of moving to Gozo as renting is much cheaper over there (incl. pool :-) ).

I would like to get some feedback if it is a hassle commuting, the costs of commuting, the likelyhood of the ferry not working etc etc etc.

Thanks so much..and I look forward to reading your replies. :-)

Cheers

Hi,

For one, you will get cheaper ferry crossings when your id card address is in Gozo (someone else should be able to advise on costs.)

My children go to St. Paul's Bay school and many of the teachers come from Gozo each day. In one school year, my youngest's teacher must have been late around 3-4 times only and only by about 15 minutes. I think it was more likely the bus that was late rather than the ferry?

Hope this helps :)

On some days during inclement weather the ferry has to stop for a while. (Rare)
See here for fares.
gozochannel.com/companyop_rates_glance.htm

I don't mind commuting as the hours I work are not in the rush hours.

I was planning to leave my car in Mġarr and cross by ferry on foot (1.15 Euros) and then have a bus saver card (72 Euros for 3 months). So I guess my total travel time will be roughly 1.5 hours, but that is OK.

I really love the idea of moving to Gozo. It seems so much nicer than Malta, and getting a house with a pool for under 1000 Euros/month in Malta is highly unlikely.

I will be looking at a 3-bedroom house with a pool in Qala and was wondering what you think of this area? I need something quiet but not too remote. Quiet because I will sleep during the day (5 nights on) but not too remote, because I am off for 4 days on a rota. Is Qala OK?