Accommodation Basics in Dammam

Hi all,

Scottish expat, just been offered a position in Dammam where I'll be put up in a hotel for the first wee while but after that I'm on my own. First time in Saudi, and although I've worked overseas a lot it's the first time I've had to organise my own accommodation so I'm looking for some advice from some of you. Apologies if any of my queries seem obvious but, as I say, I'm new to Saudi.

Basically I'm looking for a one or two bed furnished apartment, preferably with a balcony and, if possible, a pool and/or gym in the building (although this isn't a deal-breaker!!).

Can anyone advise on: -

Indicative costs (I've been told US $1,000 per month will be sufficient - is this realistic?)
Areas to avoid/areas to target
Compounds - what is the story with them? Are they owned by and for the sole use of certain companies or can anyone rent there?
Serviced apartments - cost & value for money

I've looked at some of the accommodation websites but since a lot of them don't have photographs and contain only the bare minimum of descriptions it's difficult to judge.

Thanks,

wee_mcdee

Hi Mcdee,

First you need to decide if you want to reside in Dammam or Khobar. The two cities are not far apart and have subtle differences. For 1K $ you should be able to get an unfurnished apartment with or without balcony. Most apartments here will not have balcony these days because of the conservative lifestyle. Expect no pool and gym with this. No apartment buildings in Dammam will have built in pool or gym facility.

Compounds can start from 70/75 K SAR upto - 200 K SAR. They come with sporting facilities and community living.
Anyone can rent their but you may be required to pay half an years rent etc. Some compounds like Rezayat may not require this.

Serviced apartment here are not exactly the serviced apartments that you would expect to see in the west or the rest of the world. Normaally ranging between 3K SAR upto 6 K SAR. I am not sure about Dammam, but i you wish to crash in a services apartment for a few weeks before you decide what you want to do then the area behind Al-Rashed mall is a good place to start. in Khobar.

Let me know if you any specific questions i can answer.

br,

Many thanks for the info.