Working in Angola on an STV visa.

Hi,

I was recently sent by my company to work in Angola on an STV visa I assumed this was all legal and above board but on my exit at the airport immigration asked me if I had been out there working I said yes and they guy wasn't best pleased starting ranting on about it , Self preservation led me to back track and explain that I was out for business meetings and he eventually let me through.

Basically what I want to know is are my company sending me out there illegally to work as there is every chance I might have to do this again and I am not willing to put myself at risk for them, I mean how easy would it be for immigration to turn up at your work place and lift you for working there.

I have had a look on the Angolan embassy website and it clearly states you shouldn't be there engaged in any gainful activity while on an STV.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks

molly564 wrote:

Hi,

I was recently sent by my company to work in Angola on an STV visa I assumed this was all legal and above board but on my exit at the airport immigration asked me if I had been out there working I said yes and they guy wasn't best pleased starting ranting on about it , Self preservation led me to back track and explain that I was out for business meetings and he eventually let me through.

Basically what I want to know is are my company sending me out there illegally to work as there is every chance I might have to do this again and I am not willing to put myself at risk for them, I mean how easy would it be for immigration to turn up at your work place and lift you for working there.

I have had a look on the Angolan embassy website and it clearly states you shouldn't be there engaged in any gainful activity while on an STV.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

If the Angolan Embassy website states that you cannot be working then you need to make your employer of this and the problems it caused for you when you left Angola last time. I suspect that the STV is the easiest visa to get so this is why the company has gone for that. You need to discuss this all with your employer.

What is exctly your position?
As seaman you come on STV, you'll do embarkation and disembarkation( not later than 6 month) and there is not any problem.
You ned a seaman book as well.

dantrinca wrote:

What is exctly your position?
As seaman you come on STV, you'll do embarkation and disembarkation( not later than 6 month) and there is not any problem.
You ned a seaman book as well.

Dantrinca,
As an IMCA Diver and supposed to be mobilized in Angola the 15th March for TOTAL, I am supposed to get a STV (7D) and arrive in Luanda to embark offshore 1 Day after thanks to my Seaman Book.
The local Agent (I don't trust...) is claiming once I will put one foot on the boat, the STV will be put on hold and reactivated the day I will disembark. This would let me 5 days to take a plane back.
DO you confirm this is the process?? or would it be better to get an Ordinary Visa (30D) with a letter of the local agent explain the requirement of sending me offshore?

Thank you for your quick response

My crew was coming in stv(3days) for 2-4 months. They get embarcation stamp on arrival and disembarcation while leaving.
You are talking about working visa 7 days which can be extended for another 7.

Yes I am talking about the 7Days visa renewable once.
As I will keep the passeport with me offshore during 27 days, it will not be possible to extend it and even if the total duration is more than 7+7
DO you please confirm a STV + my Seaman book is the key to enter the country and go offshore if I stay less than 7 D as a total Onshore, regardless of how long was my trip Offshore?

thx

Di worry so much, Total are well implemented and they know the procedures.
Even if you have PP with you they will have a copy and if I remember well they need  a copy of your licence / certificate.

Total is just using agent because they do not care about the people involved... I am used to work with them for years...
Only the staff is well treated.
I get an answer I am sharing with you and will give a feed back once the mission is performed.

Visa option for a mission offshore in Angola :
1/ STV + Seaman book + (!!!) prior acceptance of MINPET which can take weeks (or more...)
2/ Ordinary Visa + Seaman Formulario (takes days, no need of MINPET but local contract (even fake) required)

Welcome to the club!