Offered a job in Malaysia - Need to decide on moving

Hi. I have just been offered a job in Malaysia as an IT Manager with a Malaysian Bank. I have around 15 years of global IT experience and am currently working in Bangalore in India. I need some advise on the overall living cost in KL. I have a family with wife and 2 kids studying in primary school. What would be the expenses considering a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment, school fees for the 2 kids, non-smoking, non-alcoholic, vegetarian family, with keeping a car. I have been offered 15,000 MYR per month. I need to take call whether this is a good offer or not. Shall I rather be continuing in India, where with all these expenses and a similar lifestyle, I'm able to save between 1000-1400 US$ per month with my Indian Salary. Need to take a call shortly, so your early responses would be highly appreciated.Thanks.Victor.

Your kids would need to attend private or international schools. That would take up RM6k per month at worst (at best only RM4k). Tax is 26%. Cost of Living is about 50% higher in KL than Pune.

RM15k is low for that amount of experience. Here is a salary guide:

Malaysia Salary Guide

Gravitas, Malaysia do employ IT professionals from around the world.

RM15k is a reasonable salary given his 15 years of global IT experience.

Perhaps Mr. George possess some unique experience and capabilities and thus he has outdone Malaysian candidates for the job.

Thanks Gravitas and Darren for your replies. Yes, I have a specific skill set that this bank is looking for and the job was offered after multiple round of interviews, which were focused on this specific skill. So I think they have a strong need for it, which they couldn't find locally.

Here are the tax rates to take into consideration:

Income Tax in Malaysia

hello sir, how ru, im yasir rao from pakistan, i m coming to malaysia in next 1 month on 1 year labour visa insha Allah, i am a MBA qulafied and 4 years banking experience in pakistan,  kindly guide me that what should i do for better career in malaysia with reference to job and if any business oppurtunity also, i want to earn atleast 2000 RM in start, so need ur help in this regard and being a pakistani brother..
thanks

Yasir Rao

Yasir - if you are coming on a one year labour visa you should already have a job, because that's how it is done in Malaysia.

The company gets permission to hire you, you get a stamp in your passport from the Malaysian embassy in your country, and then when you arrive in Malaysia, your employer completes the process with the immigration department here.

If you are under the foreign worker scheme you will have passed your medical.

You can work in:
Manufacturing
Plantation
Agriculture
Construction
Services Sector

Services sector consists of eleven sub sectors: (restaurant, cleaning services, cargo handling, launderette, caddy in golf club, barber, wholesale/retail, textile, metal/scraps/recycle activities, welfare homes and hotel/resort island). Salaries in this sector start at about RM1200 per month, although they can be as low as the minimum wage, which is RM900 per month.

If you are under the employment pass scheme, you will have a salary of RM5k per month (minimum to be on that kind of visa) and the company will have permission to hire you for a job where the skills needed are not available in the local market.

Personally I find RM15K a little too low myself. Given the fact that you are in a more management role you should demand higher. I wouldn't even want to start a whole new chapter, but quite frankly most Malaysian companies have not reached the standards that others has in terms of compensation to its local staffs http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/mala … m-thailand
As an expat, you have to consider tax and also where you want to put your kids to school.

Hi after tax about 13,050 rm a month

2 kids at average primary school 5,000 RM per cal month (12,000 RM for a good one)
Rent 2,500 RM to 3,000 RM
Utilities 500-1000 RM (electric + aircon + internet + astro)
Food and consumables 1,500 RM
Clothes 500 RM (kids!)
Medical 300 RM++ per month (Kids!)
Car all in 2,000 RM (this includes all costs inc depreciation of capital)

So you can't save a sen!

It's a decent salary . Most of IT companies in Malasyia sponsoring child education up to 85 % for expats .Please check with offered  company .if not then it would be difficult  for you to save money .

If u  don't wanna lemme go. Wud love to live in Malaysia.