Questions about moving to morocco.

Greetings!

I am a mature female. My life is a real journey. I am an outdoor person and a dog lover.  I do also like reading, humor, and art deco. 

Currently, I am looking into moving from Dania Beach, FL to Tangier, Morocco.  And questions about this project... I have a lot! 

-   Will the Moroccan medical system will honor my US health care coverage if needed?
-   Will I receive my monthy income from USA regularly, and will it be through the US Consulate or through a bank?
-   Is it worth it to ship nothing from the US regarding household items because I will find everything here (quality/cost
    effectiveness - particularly:  kitchen range, washer/dryer and the like)?
-   Is a car really needed in Tangier?

Please advise and share your experience, and feel free to add to my checklist of questions.

Thanks in advance,

Maco14

I can only answer a couple of questions as I'm from the UK, so my answers might be general.

I live in El Jadida, which has about 160,000  inhabitants, a fifth of Tangiers. I don't have a car and would never buy one. I get around in taxis, which are frequent, inexpensive and plentiful, even in the night. I think Tangiers is the same - taxis everywhere. And for longer journeys, I take the train or long distance coaches. Alternatively there are long distance taxis as well.

As for health insurance, as far as I am aware, if there is a clause in it that covers you for care abroad, then, according to the terms and conditions, the "Clinique" you go to should either claim from the insurance company without you having to do anything or it will charge you (more likely) and itemise your care for you to claim back from the US company. It works differently in the UK in that out national scheme does not cover us abroad (we get reiprocal arrangements with some countries) unless we have been referred abroad for a specific treatment. We have to get private insurance and I have had both types and claimed on both. Once the Clinique claimed the money from the company and once I had to cough up and claim in the UK on the private insurance. In addition, certain clinics here will, as a matter of policy, insist on payment up front. Although the public health system here has patches of excellence, it is best to go to a private clinic. So, I'm afraidd you will probably have to find this out on a case by case basis.

There is good quality furniture to be had in Morocco, but it depends on what you want. Buying European chair and sofas can be up too 5 times as dear. A 3 piece suite I could get in the UK for £600 could easily cost £3000 in a chain such as Abroun or Kitea here. However, more traditional Moroccan type furniture can be inexpensive, although I find it uncomfortable sitting on a Moroccan salon. But fridges, washing machines and so on are barely more expensive.

Good luck.

Hi Maco14,

I created a new thread from your topic on the Morocco forum for better interaction and visibility. Thank you! :)

Regards,

David.

Thank you, Laduqesa, for your information and advice.  It sure give me some material to begin putting into action my plan.

Enjoy your weekend.

Thanks, David. 

I'll make sure to look into it now and then.

maco14 wrote:

Thank you, Laduqesa, for your information and advice.  It sure give me some material to begin putting into action my plan.

Enjoy your weekend.

Hello again.

Regarding getting your income/money, you could simply have this paid into your American bank and withdraw from ATMs, which is what I do. My salary is paid into my bank in the UK and I withdraw using my UK debit card. The fee for me is 1% of the withdrawal total plus £2 as a flat fee.

Alternatively, you could open a Moroccan bank account once you satisfy the requirements and make regular transfers yourself to the Moroccan account. Do be aware that the dirham is a closed currency, so it is difficult to export money from Morocco in an emergency via means such as Western Union, for example, which require an authorisation from Rabat. Depending on the type of Moroccan account you have, you may not be able to send money abroad from that.

Laduqesa,

This info was right on target.

Thank you so much for sharing.

:)