Moving to Brussels With My Baby_3 Years_Having Childhood Asthma

Hi Friends,

Hope all of you are good and doing well !

I am Indian and will be moving to Brussels in few months with my 3 years old baby who is having childhood asthma and I am tensed for him, because the weather in brussels is generally cold and in winter it goes down even in -ve temperature (as I heard).

He is now 3 years old and 2 times he had been hospitalized to take nebulizer and medication due to high cough and respiratory problem developed. Otherwise, in normal cold and cough he takes Inhaler and cough syrup and he gets alright at home as his is becoming matured by age.

I really worried for him very much.. Kindly help me with below information so that I can feel confident and bring him :

1. Is it possible to settle to Belgium with 3 years old baby with childhood Asthma (climate wise any issues i should consider)??
2. How easy it is to find pediatrician in belgium being new to the country? What are cost considerations?
3. What other factors I might need to consider before moving to Belgium from India with infant?
4. Any recommended area to live near by any good hospitals (in case of any medical emergency for my baby) in Brussels ? My Office will near Da Vinci Bus Stop..
5. In work permit and onsite opportunity, employer provide insurance for medical treatment and hospitalization ?
6. How is ambulance service available for medical emergency ?

Thanks a ton for your understanding and time for response.

Thanks,
Atanu

Dear Atanu,
Well, I can't actually answers all ur questions, but I'll answer what I know :)
2- finding a pediatrician isn't a problem, actually you can ask in the city hall where you will live they will probably give you a list, and in every hospital, you can have appointments with pediatricians, you just need to make an appointment early because sometimes it takes a month to find an open place. Its also always better to go to consultations in hospitals, they are covered by insurance, i think they kids are sometimes almost 100 % covered by insurance. but you need to register in an insurance company as soon as you settle and receive your residence permit. the insurance doesn't cost much, about 100 euros/year.
http://www.mc.be/http://www.bepartena.be/en/home/

4- you will be working in Evere, its a good place to live also, hospitals in brussels are everywhere, so don't worry :)

5- normally employers provide insurance, but anyway if you make you own insurance its still so cheap.

6- ambulance service is available fast 24/7.. just call 100.

Belgium has an excellent record of mortality due to asthma, sorry being a bit morbid. I came to the rescue of a child with asthma rushed to hospital recently so did a bit of research afterwards about what makes a difference to controlling asthma and Belgium comes out well. Preventative medication, to avoid regular overuse of ventolin. Don't worry.

I take it you're Indian? Seems increasing numbers of Indians especially IT working here, Evere seems a popular place to settle, but warning you, in fact finding a school with a place for your child might be the most difficult aspect to moving, rather than finding health care which is far easier. So you may have to look a bit further than Evere and pay attention to the language border French / Dutch being very near there.

You're right about the weather, but more than that, don't lose heart in the first few months. When moving to a new country, your son and maybe you too will catch lots of Belgian germs and it will take a while perhaps to stop getting constantly ill, same as if I moved to India I suppose! As so many people move here end of Summer, it seems to make it easier to catch the germs when the weather gets colder. That period, if you go through it, will hopefully pass.