Taking car back to uk

Good morning
Does anyone know if i decided to go back to the uk,if i would have much hassle taking my car back? Its only 3 and a half years old, and wouldnt want to sell it really. Just wondering if it would be a straightforward process to register it in the uk and if anyone has done this. Its a kia ceed and bought brand new here in malta in march 2011. Not exactly sure if we are going but if we do its an issue to sort out. Thanks in advance for any information.
Gail

Its straight forward and I think free.
You can get an import pack from  the DVLA  that explains it all.

https://www.gov.uk/dvlaforms

Terry

Thankyou

Hello,
It's pretty straightforward indeed. You'll have to take the car throgh a road worthiness testthough. Some general EU-wide rules can be found here: europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/vehicles/registration/formalities/index_en.htm

There is no EU‑wide law on vehicle registration. So not much point in giving him  a link to "general EU rules".
The UK rules are operated by the DVLA and enforced by the UK police.

Terry

Hi tearnet,
taking a car to a different EU country has implications not only regarding registration, but also on when you have and don't have to register the car in another country, on VAT and so on, and there are EU-wide rules on that. Where there are no common EU rules, it's possible to link to the different national rules, as you can see for example if you follow the link in my former post  :)

The original posting was a question regarding taking a car from Malta back to the UK.

I still do not see the relevance of a link to EU guidelines when the only rules he needs to comply with on his return  are the UK ones.
All the rest is just EU bureaucrats trying to justify the high wages they award themselves by churning out more and more "guidelines" or policy documents.

Sorry, off topic (its my anti EU rant).  :mad: 

Terry