Gynaecologists and good maternity hospitals

Hi all,

So Im pregnant and will be moving to Mauritius in a month's time.

I would really appreciate any information on good gynaecologists and hospitals. The post i saw regarding this on the blog is old, so wondering if there someone who has given birth in Mauritius recently.

Also are there big baby shops there where I can buy preparation from cribs to travel system? Or would it be better to buy here in SA?

Thanks for your help.

Hiya,
if possible bring all your baby things and clothes. There are some good shops but not many and prices are higher.
My son is 2 months now but I opted to have him back in the uk but my gyne was excellent. He has consultations in both pointe aux cannoniers the norgh and quatre bornes. Ng kwet long ( I think thats howbyou spell it).
But prdviously asked your question and yes there are excellent clinic here to give birth, partner can b with you, prices not bad, about rs40,000 for normal birth.
I just went to the uk to have a break and a shopping spree at the same time. Lol

Thank you Ine1 for the useful info.  Will try to buy as much preparation here. As for clinics and Dr's. I guess I will see when I get there. If im not impressed will have the baby back in SA.

Hi there.

Congratulations on the pregnancy and the upcoming move!

I gave birth to my daughter whilst living in Mauritius back in February 2012. My boyfriend and I consulted the same gynecologist throughout the whole pregnancy and I delivered our daughter in Apollo Bramwell. We were very impressed with the whole experience  Id do it all again in a heartbeat!

As for baby shops, we found a big and well stocked one in Port Louis where they seemed to have almost everything (for both babies and moms). However, we ended up buying most of our stuff from a smaller (and cheaper) shop in Rose Hill where we got a car seat and various small items, but most of our necessities were sent from family and friends back home. Mainly clothes since the girls clothes we could find locally were VERY colorful, shiny and doll-like!

I hope this information can help you and that it is recent enough. Feel free to PM me or ask here and Ill be happy to help more if I can :)

/Kristina.

Thanks so much Kristina.
I have read good reviews about Apollo Bramwell. I think we will go with that

I love my doctor, but she is rather difficult to get in with, especially this close to delivery.  I would recommend that you bring as much of your baby things with you as you can.  Things are quite expensive here as they all have to be imported.

Hi,

I have not given birth yet in Mauritius, but am pregnant. I really like my gyne. Her name is Dr. Poonam Jeetun and she speaks English very well because she is of Indian origin. She takes a lot of time to answer your questions. Her office is in Vacoas. My sister-in law had her son with her 2 years ago, and recommended her very highly. My sister-in-law delivered at Clinique Darne in Curepipe and said the service was very good. Hope this is helpful to you.