Soon be in Regina, Saskatchewan - Would like to know more + find a job

Hi everyone,
I'm Ridwan from nigeria , I've just secured an admission for my Msc. Program in computer science(co-op option) at the university of regina, Regina, Saskatchewan. I would love to know more about the city of Regina and the prospect of getting a good job in my field upon graduation

Hello realone01 and welcome on board :)

Please note that a new thread has been created as from your post in the Canada Forum so as to help you get better response.

Regards

Kenjee

From what I heard Regina is a smaller of the 2 major cities in Saskatchewan. Saskatoon is the largest city despite Regina being the capital. Regina is mainly flat land, so don't expect much to see in terms of greenery and the outdoors. You can find out more about living there from here http://canadianimmigrant.ca/settling-in … skatchewan

As for jobs after graduating from a MSc field, I would say they might not be as many job opportunity there as oppose to other places. If there is, it'd be small-medium sized companies or those in start-up mode. Note: that's not bad. Do not think that BIG corps are the only ones to work for!!! Sometimes smaller ones treat you better, and I can attest to that as I worked for both big corps and smaller ones as well.

Companies in the tech are looking for folks:
- with good command in English (both written and spoken)
- good initiative to learn and take ownership
- critical thinking
- with Canadian experience is a plus although you might have to dance around this a little given that you just arrive and will graduate from here in another 2 yrs. You can do part-time off campus work while you are studying to gain that Canadian experience (max of 20hrs / wk). You'll need to apply for the permit for that.

If you choose to work in Saskatchewan itself after graduation, that'll be good (assuming if you have success in finding a job), at least for your first two years. Why? Because on ontop your federal tuition tax rebate, you'll also get to apply for a provincial one as well (see Saskatchewan's Graduate Retention program http://ae.gov.sk.ca/grp).

This information is helpful.  Thanks so much philipyeo.

Thanks for the prompt response.

don't mention it... good luck to you...